Super Pet and mainstream vendors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the super pet leap n ledge and the sleep in ledge. I also have the super pet house and I bought the apple orchard chips. I also have the super pet corn husk tube thingy. are any if these okay? I am getting my two chins next month and don't want to use anything unsafe!

This is truly very upsetting. Out of all the brands at pet shops I questioned, I thought Superpet was one of the better ones. I mean shouldn't the main manager of the company be notified??? They should not be able to get by with this I mean cedar is one if the main woods that chins definitely need to steer clear of!! This is amazing. And yea I just bought some apple wood chips tonight that is Superpet! Its funny because I saw the big death balls tonight and same thoughts went into my head like what are they thinking or fo they just shouldn't be making any products for chins at all!! This is definitely upsetting again, and thank the Lord there ars chin lovers out there that take time to make woods and toys safe. Just sucks you can't go to your local pet store and get an occasional toy without being worried to death it may not be safe. Yeap this definitely makes me view them differently (Superpet). I think I should contact them about this.

I have the super pet leap n ledge and the sleep in ledge. I also have the super pet house and I bought the apple orchard chips. I also have the super pet corn husk tube thingy. are any if these okay? I am getting my two chins next month and don't want to use anything unsafe!

Leap n ledge and sleep n ledge are fine. I wouldn't use the corn husk tube (mold is an issue with corn and pretty much ANY small animal). The orchard chips might be safe, just overpriced compared to the processed woods you can get from suppliers on here. If the house you got is the big ball of braided grass-stuff, it's probably okay but won't last long.

Contacting company managers won't matter. Companies like these say that *their* vets claim it's all completely okay, that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads about it and should go spend a complimentary $5 coupon for their worthless $#!^ that'll kill our pets instead. I'd put down money that their vets have never actually owned a chinchilla, or worked with any in a capacity that would allow them to understand the animals. A necropsy on a rabbit in vet school does *not* an exotics vet make.

The best thing to do to/about these companies is 1) not buy ANY of their crap products, 2) explain to other people why you don't use XX Brand, to give them 'food for thought' and 3) go above and beyond applauding the people who do it *right*.

As long as the products seel they will continue to make them. Most of the supplies are aimed at new owners who usually don't know much and will take direction from the pet stofe or young children looking for toys for their pet (again people who look for colorful, not necesarily safe things). Its sad but complaining will do nothing. As long as their vet says its safe nothing will change.

Nikkimariec, I get my hay from petstores, I buy Oxbow. As far as the woods I buy I usually order them from chin owners on the internet. I have bought wood from pet shops as well but usually apple orchard only. I have bought them a bird toy before that I made sure was chin safe but the wood I wasnt 100% sure about which I wont be doing that anymore. I also have a Super Pet wooden house and one of their leaping ledges. I buy Oxbow products from pet shops but as far as there wood goes I believe Im only going to be puurchasing from chin owners that sell their own wood in the future.

I know how you feel, we were also duped into buying a death ball, the wrong feed and bad dust. On top of that, our little guy was ill bred and died of a birth defect. Ugh. PetSmart sucks.

I worked for a major pet store for a little while and it was SO difficult convincing people that chins only needed a good plain hay/pellet etc. I would explain all the reasons and people would still dismiss me and go grab all the colorful sugar-filled foods and treats. It was really frustrating...and now I don't work there anymore - thankfully!

Back