Super-Humongo New Chin House

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
I had been planning to help build my chin a new cage when I visited my dad this past weekend, but when I got there I found out he had already built it as a surprise!! It's sooo much bigger than a single chin needs, but that means maybe a friend for Sebastian in the future! :D
It's awesome, even though I'm not sure how much weight the wire on the sides will hold. I ordered some stuff from quality mutation chinchillas today to see what I can do. Right now most of the top half of the cage is totally vacant. He has a wire floor now, but the spacing is pretty small, just room for poop to fall through. But he has his tile in his hidey house and a grass mat in the corner, so I think he'll be ok until the rest of his shelves & fleece stuff gets here.

What do you think?? (The sign is courtesy of mom) :p

Attachments

• sebastianshouse2.jpg
    sebastianshouse2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 152
  • sebastianshouse.jpg
    sebastianshouse.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 153
Looks like a good start to a great home! You may need to add in some 1"x2" to bolt shelves and perches to. Other wise looks great. Might want to consider looking at alternate floor materials mesh from what I've learned can be a risk to their toes and feet.

Wow! That looks like a big cage, what are the dimensions - and customized with his name!! Aren't dad's just great!?! I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure however that chicken wire is strong enough to ledges. Maybe some modifications could help to reinforce the wiring?

I did not originally want a mesh floor, but my bf is tired of pine shavings everywhere, all the time. He has places to sit that aren't mesh, though. He's been sleeping in his hidey house which has a tile floor.
My bf is being very helpful though, and he says that if I can't get the wire to hold ledges, he will attach some wooden slats to the outside for those to go through. If I had designed it, I would've chosen different wire, but what can ya do? It's a great gift still.

I measured it at 36inL x 26inD x 36inH

It is a nice cage but chicken wire is definitely not safe for chins. Chins can, and have, gotten their heads stuck in the spacing. It won't take very much work to change the wire to safe spacing. The floor should be no bigger than 1/4 x 1/4 for chinnie feet :)). Your Dad is awesome!

I agree with Jean Marie. On top of the issue with a chin getting their head stuck, the chicken wire is so thin that is can easily be chewed through for escape. I would get your dad to replace it with 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth that can be purchased from home depot or lowes.

Agreed, I would just pop the wire off and staple some new in...You will probably want some fleece and maybe tile areas on the floor to give feets a break. If you make your own shelves, attach a little lip around the edge to keep poos in the cage. Fleece tubes are a big hit here. You might also find its hard to catch your chinny with the one door so low. Perhaps another door could be added higher?

It is a nice cage but chicken wire is definitely not safe for chins. Chins can, and have, gotten their heads stuck in the spacing. It won't take very much work to change the wire to safe spacing. The floor should be no bigger than 1/4 x 1/4 for chinnie feet :)). Your Dad is awesome!

That's what I was thinking. You should definitely get some different wire on there. I would also be pretty concerned about the amount of open space. Chins can sometimes tend to be clumbsy and miss a ledge and fall to the bottom. Most of us stretch something across the middle of the cage to help prevent long falls, so you may want to look into something like that.

i think the cage is great........definitely need some larger wider shelves to prevent falling and change out the wire which is simple to do.

here is a thread with some pics of my home made cage, you can see the spacing of the wire, which we got at home depot. the wire on the inside part, which separates the two is even smaller so that they can bite thru.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6887

wanted to add, that although the wire is strong, since i have shelves attached to the middle section, i have had to do a patch in one spot. my one chin Stitch is a spaz and jumps SO hard on the mulberry little circle shelves that the wire broke in one spot.

Last edited:
Just wanted everyone to know that we have changed the cage wire to 1/2in hardware cloth from Home Depot. Half of the floor is now covered with straw mats and he also now has some shelves, a hammock, and a "cuddle ledge" from quality mutation chinchillas. His cage is a pain to take good pics of though, my camera sucks and it's in front of a mirror. But this is him in his new hammock (top of cage to be changed very soon) and in his carrier while we were modifying his cage. I said he was my little prisoner!!

Attachments

• HPIM2324.jpg
    HPIM2324.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 46
  • HPIM2320.jpg
    HPIM2320.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 36
Back