Suitable cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I am getting my first chin very soon :) I need a cage and I have found a few that are in my price range and seem suitable. I am only getting one chinchilla aswell.
!BszQKkQ!mk~$(KGrHqUOKi8EusBo,9d7BL5Z+04,+g~~_3.JPG

The most expensive. £55.99 (around 90 dollars)
$_57.JPG

I am not sure about this one as it doesnt look very big but im not sure. £49.99 (about 80 dollars)
$T2eC16R,!yoFIem8Tz0tBSZ7oqn2b!~~60_57.JPG

Same price as before. This one looks ok to me.

The sizes are fine for a single chin, but as I mentioned in your other thread, you'll want to steer clear of cages with wire bottoms, which the top two cages have. The third image isn't clear enough, so I can't tell if it's solid or wire. The alternative is to completely cover the wire of all the cages with chinchillers, wood or tile to protect their feet. Any plastic, like the wheel in the 2nd cage, will need to be removed. The metal ramps will either need to be covered, or removed and replaced with wooden shelving.

Hi thanks for the reply. In the 3rd pic the levels are solid however I think the ramps are metal. Picture isnt very clear though. Will probably either go for second or third and remove all shelving and plastic and replace with them attachable wood shelves, does that sound ok?

That would be perfect! Any cage you buy is going to need full customization anyway. That's half the fun of chinchilla ownership.

Hi I have found another cage that I think I will be getting. It has a plastic floor, it has ledges which has no ramps and according to my research it is the perfect size. It is similar to the 3rd pic just without the full ledges and ramps. I will be adding more to it though.

You may have luck finding a really nice used cage on craigslist, or spring for a ferret nation or critter nation if you can. It would be very well worth it to find a great cage like those which are easy to clean. I'm saying this as a new chin owner myself lol, after 2 weeks of ownership i found myself splurging on a new cage and accessories to modify it. Be careful, these little cuties are easy to spoil, haha. Also, I've noticed some of the chinchilla shops online sell used modified cages too. Good luck :)

Back