Suggestions for Building a Cage for my Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelsey.gaddy

I am going to be building a cage with my dad for my 2 chinchillas (he's a good DIY guy) and I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Such as... types of materials to use, any kind of custom and special things to put in the cage, and anything else that might help. I would also LOVE pictures. Thank you!!
-Kelsey

I have an album of my cage building process on my profile here. And if you search "homemade cage", "handmade cage" or "melamine cage" you should come up with a handful of threads with pictures.

I used:
*Kiln dried pine--shelves cut at store. You could use other woods, like Poplar, but they are more expensive and harder to cut/drill if you have light duty tools.
*Melamine--cut at store
*16 gauge 1" x 1/2" welded wire, galvanized after weld--found at Lowes
*Braces (T and L shapes), hinges, screws, washers, door locks etc.

The tools I needed to buy were:
*Drill--light duty will do
*Wire cutter
*Staple gun--to staple wire to frame
*Hand saw, to cut the smaller wood of the frame. Not needed if you get all the wood cut at store and make sure they cut it the right length.
*Sandpaper--not really a tool, but...
*And the screwdriver, hammer (to bend wire around wood) and wrench I already had.

My biggest piece of advice would be plan out everything!! I had to do some things over and wound up buying another roll of wire because of it. Drawings and lists will be a huge help, schematics are key. Plus, measure multiple times before you cut or drill.

caiti has a really nice cage design.
I built mine out of five separate frames to dissemble easily because I move often. It is a bit heavier and costs me a bit more pine wood.

Attachments

• Selection_001.jpg
    Selection_001.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 62
Add a pull out tray!! This was the first thing my boyfriend and I added to our chins' cage when we started restoring it. We also added wheels to make movement and cleaning it out easier on me.

Back