Suddenly spraying after months of potty trained

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethanyShondark

Hi -

Perhaps I got off too easy with Thaddeus, but he almost immediately took to peeing in his litter pan when we put it in his cage after switching to fleece a few months ago.

We moved apartments (literally across the street, it was a very untraumatic experiences as far as moves go) three weeks ago. The first week we were here he was peeing as usual in his litter pan but now he's been spraying our brand new (and newly painted) apartment wall.

Anyone have any idea why he's doing this or have any suggestions to get him peeing in the right place again?

Thanks!

maybe he doesn't like the color of it? :p
From my (limited) experience I can tell that a sudden change in their cage can stop or provoke certain behaviour... So I would hang a fleece on the side where the spraying happens, and get an extra bowl (or bowls, depends on your chin(s)) filled with shavings to put in the new "pee spot".

I hope they switch back to the pans very soon :)

Is it possible the previous tenants had other pets that may have peed in the spots he's going? Usually a coat of paint isn't enough to cover the smell of urine to other animals. Arm n Hammer makes a paint now that's supposed to cover or get rid of any smell. You could also try to cover the wall with some cardboard.

Back