Such a close call!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

For playtime tonight I noticed that Silver and Dragon were not as excited as usual to come out of their cage and seemed a bit lethargic, I took them out anyway and they hopped around for a few seconds and then both started trying to bite at their water bottle from the outside of their cage, I was a bit distracted so I shooed them away and started cleaning their cage but they started jumping all over the place trying to get at their bottle so I finally listened to them and saw that it was still full from the night before :wacko:

I poked at the ball and it was stuck, I was soooooooo angry and felt so bad for them, as soon as I fixed it they both wanted water so bad (had to make them take it slowly) I put them back and watched them as they started perking up, I knew they were back to their old selves when Dragon jumped up behind Silver and stuck both his hands in his ears making Silver turn around to kack at him.

Serious lesson learnt for me today, ALWAYS monitor water levels :S

A good example of why we all need to check that their bottles are working on a daily basis. I love how they were telling you what was wrong.

It happens sometimes but cuddlebug is right, we can use this as a reminder of how important something so simple can be.

I have to watch Bella's water for the opposite reason. She has a bottle that doesn't have a ball, so it can't get stuck, but it drips very slowly, so I have to make sure she doesn't shake her cage and make all the water drip out. So far it's never been an issue, but I'd rather check frequently and catch it if/when it happens than not catch it and have her go without water

I don't trust the water bottle anymore and am going to buy a new one today, it doesnt seem to be letting out as much water as their old one used to. They are so incredibly clever when trying to tell me that something was wrong, I am going to try to be more in tune with their needs now since they can make it pretty clear when they feel something is not right in their world. They water bottle hangs higher than the floor since their cage is elevated so they were standing on their back legs grabbing at the outside of the bottle with their tiny hands. This morning there was the usual amount of water gone and they are back to their happy selves :)

Back