Strange fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KujoSutefanii

My baby chinchilla named Mocha was born with an odd fur texture. I figured it would fix itself as he grew but it's still very strange and choppy feeling. I know for a fact that it isn't fur chewing or else he wouldn't have just been born with it. And he's the only chinchilla I own with this fur texture. His parents, brother and past relatives have all had amazing fur. No amount of dust baths fix his issue.

So I wanted to know what you guys think or if you have any ideas on how to fix this. He's turning 12 weeks old tomorrow and I want him to look as nice as possible before he goes to a new family.

Attachments

• 20131211_131634.jpg
    20131211_131634.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 109
It kind of looks like it could be the kit has the fairly newly discovered and rare curly coat mutation. If so that is just how it's suppose to be and there is nothing wrong there for nothing to fix. There are pics and a description of them on the Chinchilla.com site it's talking about the ebony related curly mutation, so not sure if that applies to you or not.

Hmm! That is really interesting! He does resemble a curly! I have no idea, but I know he is a real cutie!

Well, from what I read, it is possible for him to be a curly. This is actually pretty exciting and I'm also very relieved that there isn't anything wrong with his fur.
Thank you so much everyone! I'll definitely have to look into it a little more c: <333

It's my understanding that this mutation is pretty darn rare in the US, the one's in the US are German based...and I imagine that's probably the first recorded in Canada ;) I'd be VERY hesitant to sell...and MUCH more inclined to work hard with the mutation to try and reproduce it (via his parents/siblings/etc)

Wow, well I'm pretty proud of my little man! I'll see what I can do to reproduce this mutation. Thank you so much!

Mosaic and brown velvet. From what I read it's a mutation that stems from the ebony mutation? If so, then it makes sense. Both sides of the family have ebony

Last edited:
Parents being mosaic and brown velvet...they're both ebony carriers? how far back is the ebony? The kit itself looks like a darker tan... As far as the kit, while it's not a mutation I would seek out...I would work with it if it cropped up...simply for the novelty of it.

One ebony is his maternal grandfather and paternal is a little farther
The kit is actually a brown velvet too. His mother looked identical as a baby, looking tan, but as she aged, her mutation was an obvious brown velvet. It's strange really.

Last edited:
I have nothing valuable to say other than that your little chin is SO DANG CUTE. I can't believe how adorable he is.

Back