Strange Bladder Stone they found in Gizmo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xBrianx619

Android Enthusiast
Hey guys, I kept the stone that they gave me, but they said there was a really long mucousy thing attatched to it, which was what was plugging his urethra, any of you experts know what this is? The vet said they had never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20120821_140108.jpg
    IMG_20120821_140108.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 72
I have no idea of what that is! It almost looks like a tumor of some sort. The stone looks pretty much like what you would expect to see. Could it have been some type of growth in the urethra? Maybe they should send it off to see what it is. That is SO weird looking.

Yeah I know! The vet said that they had never seen anything like it, they said ti was soft and mucousy, but now it's hard as a rock! hah.

They said that most likely, that long thingy was the culprit in plugging him up, but its out now! And hes doing just fine, sitting here chewing on a piece of hay :) His tummy looks so weird, lol

IMO the stone should have been analyzed for composition to try to narrow down the cause and prevent future issues, that said the elongated tissue looking item could be a infection and the stone was the side effect.

Could it be possible that the stone was so large and irritating to the mucosal lining of the bladder that it could be a mixture of mucous and blood clot from the bladder in effort to isolate the irritating stone?

I agree that the stone should be sent out. My chin had one, we sent it out ann it came back 100% calcium. He's on a different diet now.

As far as the other thing I'm wondering if it could be a mucus/sediment/blood plug.

And it is weird! maybe some kind of birth defect???

Could have also just been a build up of blocked mucous/blood/goo/urine, etc. since he couldn't pass anything due to the stone obstruction. That happens in blocked cats a lot. A biopsy is the best way to go to know for sure.

Last edited:
Changing the diet without knowing the composition of the stone is not a good idea, there are many types of stones caused by different conditions-struvite, calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, ammonium urate are the most common in chinchillas.

Back