Stop scratching me...please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimichanga

desert chinchilla
My chin has been repeatedly scratching my arms and feet during our daily playtime. He also throws in some chirping and tail wagging. It seems more like a dominance thing. I usually push him away gently ("no, chimi, calm down") but lately he has been relentless and returns to scratching quickly. I'm not feeling the love :( Additionally, it looks like I'm allergic to it- red, raised, angry looking skin. Woopie.

Is this aggression? Male behavior? Stress? Also, maybe it's abnormal, but he gives me his chinchilla farts every. single. day. Some of the things I've read indicate those are stress/anxiety/frustration on their part, but he doesn't have much to be stressed about! 4 level critter nation, full set of toys, breeder-approved food/treats, 1 hr play time (every single day), and generally lets me hold him and carry him around the house without complaint. He's over 3 years old now and is a "petsmart rescue".

Thanks! (I couldn't find a specific forum thread on this, sorry if it is a reposted question)

To me it sounds like he's angry that your arm isn't his girlfriend. Maybe get him a cuddle buddy to take his frustrations out on. Annie O of Chin Chic makes some adorable ones that are safe. She has an etsy page and I believe a fb page as well as is a member here.

As far as the "farts" go, I'm not really sure. My boys only fart at each other when they are annoyed.

You may be allergic to the bedding and the dust got under his nails and into your skin when he scratches you. The farts thing had me rofl, I've never known a chin to fart.

Back