Stone Ledges?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

Vera

I currently have KD pine shelves in my FN, but they always look dirty and unsanitary, so I was looking in on different options. I came across a site that makes flagstone bird perches. It seems like stone would be much easier to wipe off and clean than wood. They do custom orders so I was thinking about ordering some when I get some extra money. Has anyone tried anything like this? Any thoughts?

I've never used them before, but the material should be safe for chins seeing as people use marble tiles for their chins to cool off on. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is safety. We have a marble hearth at my house, and our cats often run across it too fast and end up sliding off :laughitup: . But I'm not sure if the same thing would happen with a chin.

I've ordered from chinontherocks.com before. They have been around for a while and are very easy to deal with. I've ordered some of the smaller sizes and it works and fits great in the cage.

I have a few of them in each of My cages, the chins like them & I love the way they look, I wish I could have all flagstone perches!! Down side, they are not too cheap & shipping is high as well for they are heavy.

yes, http://www.chinontherocks.com/, is the website I was looking at.

I don't think they would slide off because the stone isn't polished and its somewhat uneven.

I want one about 33 inches long to fit the back side of my FN. . . But i'm not sure if the rock would be too heavy?

I have flagstone perches and I love them. Very easy to clean and they dry fast. Chins absolutely love them too. Perches are not slippery.
But there is a gap between the stone and the cage, up to 3/8''(depends on the perch). If you worry about this ask John not to install hex nuts between stone and a washer.
And I will not buy a corner perch again, the one that I got did not fit .I called and asked for replacement. I was told to put one side on one level and another side higher or lower. I refused, because this way I would end up with more that 1 inch gap. Then John suggested to hit perch with a hammer, so I can have 2 regular perches. I did not agree ( who knows maybe it will break into 4 pieces not 2 and I do not need sharp edges) so I insisted on replacement (regular perch). I paid for shipping because return label never arrived, but John sent me extra manzanita perch (same shape as stone perches), that was nice.
Also be specific about the shape you want. Some perches are long, but narrow, it's uncomfortable for chins.
I like medium size, XL is soooo HEAVY.

I saw that site, chinontherocks.com and wondered if anyone ordered from them. Their products are really interesting....I may have to try a rock perch for my chinnie kids!

Puddles loves her rocks from them! She won a photo contest and her picture was on the site for a while. Not sure if it still is. The rocks are HEAVYYYYYYY!

Tanya, do you have wood shelves as well as the stone ones? The medium ones looked like they would only be good for sitting in. I guess maybe if I had a whole bunch he would be able to run and hop from one to another.

I am fairly certain I bought the large. Puddles is a chunky girl. The one she won from them was a medium and she still perches on that one with no problem too. She kind of envelops it. hehehehe

good to know. do you think if I bought the XL or XXL and it was too heavy for my cage to support they would let me trade it in?

oh thanks. that gives me a munch better picture on the size. I like the way you have your cage set up. I think I have an idea of what I want to do, now I just have to sell some stuff to scrap together some extra money. lol. cage redoing is so expensive.

FYI, they have free shipping for all orders over $50 right now. I imagine shipping can get pretty expensive since the ledges are so heavy.

I just ordered a couple of ledges for my girls. I'll post pics when they come in.

Back