Stainless steel pans?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublime5981

Serenity Chinchillas
Anyone have them? Some of my pans are starting to look rough and I'm considering switching to stainless when I replace them. Are they worth it and where did you order them?

They are the cats meow! But they cost a fortune and are very hard on the equipment to make them. I have several hundred of them in our barn. They clean easier, last forever and do not have rust that dirties the animals.

I looked into them several months ago. It was going to cost me $45 a pan so I chose not too since i needed alot of them. However if you don't have as nearly as many cages I would go for it. They last forever!.

if you lived closer to me, i would have my fiance' make them for you. he just made mine and they are wonderful. i had him do 3 inch high and they fit the FN perfect!
too big & heavy to ship though.

They are the cats meow! But they cost a fortune and are very hard on the equipment to make them. I have several hundred of them in our barn. They clean easier, last forever and do not have rust that dirties the animals.

Do you make them yourselves, or can you recommend someone who does? I have some pans that need replacing this summer and the stainless steel ones I've seen at Brenda's are AWESOME!

I got most of mine with a herd I bought out. Rich made me about a 100 more but said he would never do it again!

Do you think that they are worth the extra cost? I get about 4 to 5 years out of a pan here...the galvanized pans are about $20 (they used to be $9, but we won't go there.) How much more are the stainless steel?

I am in a real need for pans now. Locally I can't find anyone, who cares enough to make them correctly - they make them so that the sharp edges are exposed and no one seems to care about making them the way I want them made. I am going to call one of my sources from out of state for pans. If I get enough made, I can have them shipped by freight to a terminal in Tucson. But, if you have any better ideas for custom pans, I would be forever grateful for your expertise! :)

jags, thanks for the first hand experience. I was wondering how "rust free" they really were. Now I'm worried the pans will outlive the rest of the cage.
Michelle, be careful what you volunteer your fiance for. I've got family in eastern PA and may be moving to MD so, pick up is definitely an option. ;)

Last edited:
I'd be happy if they outlived the rest of the cage! I can get a cage to last for 10 years or maybe more...the pans don't last nearly as long...I can always reuse the pans.

I think I am going to reorder pans tomorrow...if anyone has any ideas for pans, let me know... :) I'd love to try something different if it means the pan would last longer. It would be awesome if I could get some rugged custom poly trays, but I don't think anyone will make my size...

Last edited:
I am doing this research right now...
The cost for me to buy 1 sheet of 26 Gauge Galv steel to make 1 pan is $19.25
The cost for me to buy 1 sheet of 26 gauge Stainless sheet is $27.35
Unless you are buying in bulk it is not cost effective try and make your self, the tools to form it are also pricey and very heavy.
However placing an add in the labor section of Craigslist for 2 to 6 pans is very effective.
Susan hold off please ... I have got a guy willing to make a prototype to spec and will do it for less than BASS.

Michelle, be careful what you volunteer your fiance for. I've got family in eastern PA and may be moving to MD so, pick up is definitely an option.

just give me notice and he would be happy to make them. when your are ready, i can show you pix of the ones he made me.

Klubertanz's in WI said they need at least a month's notice, but can get stainless steel pans done for me at about 2.5 times the cost of galvanized.

Yes I had checked with them once before but the shipping for me was terrible. For you it would make all the sense in the world.

Latest posts

Back