Southern Greetings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReesesTurtles

Hello all!

I'm not a chin owner yet, but I have my sights on becoming one eventually. I would be a first time chin owner. I have always wanted chins since I was a child and may be reaching a point where I can own one or two (waiting to see how a potential employment situation works out). I have done lots of reading, but of course I am still in need of plenty info and help.

I am especially excited to find a board about chins AND hedgies. My mother is wanting to get hedgehogs (she's owned them previously), but right now we live in GA so it's not possible. But in the future it's nice to know I will already have a go-to forum :)

I do have a question that needs answering: Does anyone here own chins AND a sighthound? I have a silken windhound (9 years old) with a strong prey drive towards squirrels and chipmunks when we go for our walks. That said, she doesn't bother my gerbils at all (but then they spend most of their time in the bin or tank habitats) and when I had a guinea pig a couple years ago, she was was very sweet and gentle around it (I think she thought it was a little puppy, haha). So honestly I don't really know how she would react to caged chinchillas, would she understand them to be pets and be sweet to them, or would her prey drive kick in?

I know I can't 100% predict the situation, but if anyone here has similar experiences to share and advice about it I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Im glad you are preparing and learning first! As far as your dog, always better to be safe... no one really knows. Glad you joined us!

Hi and welcome! As with any cat or dog, it is just safest to keep them completely separated from your future chin.

Welcome!

In my house, we have two dogs (American bull dog, 9 yrs and a blue healer mix, 6 months) and a 3 yr old cat. They are all allowed near my chinchillas cage and they just want to sniff at them to see what they are. I've only had the older dog around when I've let them out but she is the sweetest dog on the planet. I'm pretty sure she has no idea what she would do with an animal if she caught one.

That said, you said your dog has a high prey instinct on walks. Chinchillas move similar to squirrels so having the dog around while they are out could end horribly. But I don't see why you couldn't introduce they to each other through the cage bars. Please use caution on this! I'd hate to hear something happened with your chinnie and dog if the dog gets overly excited.

Best of luck!

Thank you all for the welcomes and advice! Maya is very sweet, but I agree having her loose at the same time the chin(s) would be loose is something that would just be foolish. I had a gerbil get loose on the floor once and the first thing I did was lead Maya into my bedroom and close the door, then I went to retrieve the rogue gerbil. I saw in a split-second how her attention went to alert when that little guy started running across the carpet. Maya learns quickly the difference between "Pet" and "Prey", but when 4 little feet are darting across the carpet all bets are off. She's smart and well behaved, but fast even in her age. Keeping her entirely away from the chins at all times would be difficult unless I were to keep the Chins in my laundry room, which I would rather not. But she's not a destructive or houdini type dog, so if in a secure cage, and introduced carefully with supervision, I think it would be alright. But I would probably move the cage to a secure area she couldn't get to during times when no-one was home, to be on the safe side.

Back