Somone made an oopsy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

We were supposed to get a breeding pair and their 2 male ebony offspring. The male died the week before we were picking them up during a heat wave. We took the remaining 3 and got a different male for breeding. 2 went in one fn and 2 went in the other fn section. Months go by and I notice one of the ebonies is getting a little round. Last week "he" was very round. Today we got "him" out to play in the bedroom and I felt little bumps. At first I thought some tangled fur but I had a suspicion it was something else. I turned a brighter light on, parted the fur, and found protruding nipples. With much protest we managed to flip "him" over and compare to online photos to determine it's definitely a she. It's been about 4months since we got them so Hachiro is now due any day.

Luckily Aime came with a cage that has plexiglass all the way around the bottom because they were using thick layers of shavings. I just have to play musical cages and possibly get another setup by next weekend when we were going to pick up another beige female. I have 2 cages as individual panels still down in the crv but I have 4 more hedgehogs weaning next weekend and only 2 empty cages in the hedgehog room so far.

Around the bottom won't help. You need 1" x 1/2" all the way around or they'll just climb over and out.

If you had a pair in breeding you should already have a baby safe cage...

if your breeding... I would think you should know how sex them already. Breeding isnt a game, it takes a lot of work and research should be the first thing.

And why was the chin miss-sexed by the breeder you got them from. Do you do hair ring checks?

Aika isn't due for 2 months and I was originally told by a breeder that a FN was fine for breeding. Further research found that the bar spacing was too big. I was going to see what money and cage space I had after christmas and determine what I wanted to buy or modify for Aika. We will go get a roll of wire today and line a FN for Hachiro. I figured I could trust the breeder to properly sex the chinchillas.

Aika isn't due for 2 months and I was originally told by a breeder that a FN was fine for breeding. Further research found that the bar spacing was too big. I was going to see what money and cage space I had after christmas and determine what I wanted to buy or modify for Aika. We will go get a roll of wire today and line a FN for Hachiro. I figured I could trust the breeder to properly sex the chinchillas.

I guess it depends on whether you bought them from a breeder or a breader???

LOL, Juanita!!! Bingo!!!

Also, you don't need to flip them on their backs to sex them (poor momma). You simply grasp the tail at the base and lift their bottoms up enough to see slit or no slit. Both males and females have cones.

Well, good luck with the unexpected pregnancy - just how old is the ebony who is due and they must have been mated by their brother, yes?

Please make sure you have everything prepared for your chin, and remove her brother sooner, rather than later, to avoid another breeding.

Oh my that's an unlucky accident! At least you might get a nice Christmas present though. :)

Yesterday I had an escape while I was sleeping, had a male/female mixed all night and I'm hoping she wasn't in heat as this was not a breeding chin. =( Teach me to lock cages better when they share 1 door!

Back