Soft Clumpy Poops (Trying everything!! Help!)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellylynnmarie

lovin' my chinny boys!
Hey Everyone. Hoping for some more advice...

Still having some soft, moist clumping poops with my boy, Splinter. I feel like I've been trying everything to no avail. HELP!!!

His diet consists of:
-Critical Care food mainly (he's a dental chin)
-I leave Timothy Hay in the cage but he doesn't really touch
-I also leave Oxbow pellets in the cage but again he doesn't touch them
-And I give him the recommended amount of Tanya's Weight Gain & Appetite Stimulant Herbal Supplement on and off with the Broad-Spectrum Herbal Supplement, which he seems to dig through during the night but it's hard to tell if he's eating any of it because he scatters it on the cage floor.

I've been giving him a Shredded Wheat daily (for the last 4 days) to help bind things up. He doesn't always eat all of it, depends on how his mouth feels that day, but he's been doing surprisingly well.

I've also been giving him 0.3mL of Pectillin (this is Day 3).

The poops are moist and clump together... Not fun to constantly be cleaning up... but they are not slimy, not hallow or Swiss cheesy, and do not smell.

At first, he was drinking SO much water that I thought maybe it was his water intake and he was over-hydrated (if that's even possible)... but he's now drinking less water (what I feel is more of his "normal" amount) and the poop is still squishy.

I just picked up some Activated Charcoal but haven't tried it yet.

He also gets Liquid Acidophillus on a daily basis (which was a big help in how he came to poop again after 5 days of no poops at all a few weeks ago).

He was just tested for Giardia in August and was cleared.

That's all the back ground I can think of...

Any thoughts? Other suggestions? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Can you add some pure pumpkin puree, not the spiced, sugared kind to his feed? That has fiber. Feed burnt toast...just a little bit....idk, can you get a shredded wheatie burnt maybe?

If none of that has had any effect, I would get him tested for parasites again. Sometimes, a negative result happens when they really do have it.

Back