So, I, uh...caught a mole?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

I was taking out the trash tonight and I see my cat, Luigi, chasing something small and black (it's dark outside) and this thing is running in circles. I yell at Daniel to get a cage or something to put over it to get it away from the cat (it's tiny, about 2"x2"). He gets a cage and we bring it inside to make sure it didn't get hurt. It looks fine. I have NO intention of keeping it, but I was wondering if it's safe to hold it before I let it go? He's so cute! I think it's a baby, so I don't want it being away from mom! Thanks

Last edited:
I would put it in a small cage and keep it warm. Once you've done this than I would start calling wildlife rescue groups in your area. Hopefully there is one that you can take it to. If not try and see if you can find a wildlife rescue forum and get advice there if possible. Unfortunately I only can help with birds.

ETA Is this close to you? http://www.etwrc.org/

ETA Looks like it is the same with birds. Keep it in a cage or box with good ventilation. Put a heating pad on low so it can get heat if it needs it but only under half of the enclosure. If you use a cage cover it with a towel. Get it to a rehabber as soon as possible because any catted small mammal needs medical care even if you can't find an injury.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold it unless you have to. And if you do, wear gloves and wash your hands. I have no idea if moles have rabies or any other easily caught and harmful disease.

Moles do not carry rabies but they may bite so I would not handle it. If it is not injured or is a baby there is no need to have it go to Wildlife Rescue. Just put it back in a secluded spot close to where you found it. It will be just fine. I dug my a mole once in a pile of wood chips we had for landscaping. I just moved it to a safer spot.

Okay thanks guys! Thanks for the link Jazicat, the one in Elizabethton is about 20 miles. I'll get it contact first thing in the morning! Can I give it a water bottle/bowl?

ETA: I do worry though..I'd hate to do something if it's mother is out there. I can't really catch the cat...he's not a pet really.

It really does not need to be stressed by any handling,pics,etc.Those little critters often die from the simplest of things.If no injuries have been found,he needs to be released asap back to the wild/yard.Every minute he is in human posession endangers its life about as much as the cat playing with it.

It really does not need to be stressed by any handling,pics,etc.Those little critters often die from the simplest of things.If no injuries have been found,he needs to be released asap back to the wild/yard.Every minute he is in human posession endangers its life about as much as the cat playing with it.

I agree. Releasing it would be better than having it relocated through a wildlife agency (who might decide it has had too much human contact and euthanize it).

At the wildlife rehab I volunteer at we ask where the animal was found so we can release it near by.

I went ahead and called a local rehab last night (despite it being about 1 am) and they were more than happy to help. They said that since it was a baby that I should let it go where I found it. I did take a picture before I read not to but only one.

As far as the cat goes, he isn't technically ours, so I can't really do anything. He's a neighbor's cat. We were lucky the neighbor let US get him fixed. I did sneak him in for about an hour to get him distracted though ( pita to catch him). I hope little moley does well! Thanks everyone.

If you already took a picture....I think it would be cool to see! I've never seen a mole!! Ha!

Latest posts

Back