Smoke in the house with pets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boyfriend smokes and he does NOT do it in the house around the chins. He'd be slapped lol, just kidding.....

And, I read above something about an MRI and being exposed to radiation, I'm an MRI tech, no radiation there, all magnetic RF pulses :thumbsup: Had to throw it out there! LOL

I smoke and used to smoke with the back door open at our old place. When we got our chin I stopped and started closing doors and smoking away from the house. Tiny lungs!

I also wash my hands after smoking and going to her cage. Tobacco is toxic to insects so god knows what it could do to a little chinchilla.

No one smokes in our family (thank god, cause I have asthma and wouldn't be able to handle it)... but we get in a lot of rescue chins that just reek of cigarette smoke. Like they are completely removed from that environment and you can smell it coming off of them, without having to get up close and sniff. If the smell is sticking to them, I can only imagine what it can do to their lungs. I know my doctor told me that with how bad my asthma is, I wouldn't last very long if I decided to start smoking. Well, I think of chins as being more sensitive to changes and chemicals and such than people are, and they can't make a conscious decision to "get away" from the smoke, so I would think if there was smoking going on in a house with chins, they could definitely be affected. I'm not married, but if I was ever to get married... well #1 it couldn't be to a smoker for my own health benefits, but also because I wouldn't want to risk the health of my chins/rescues.

I'm a smoker, but I was raised in a non-smoking household, so I always go outside. I have serious issues smoking around pets and kids for the same reasons listed previously... little lungs!

They actually just had an article in our local paper about how bad it is for animals to be in a house where there is smoke, because it lays on their fur, and their cage surfaces. The vet went on to explain as a human we generally leave our house for work etc and get away from the smoke. The animal is not so lucky and it was something like doubling the chance to get cancer and other issues in the animal.

Back