Small Animals that CAN eat raisins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

So if anyone has seen my other post I made the mistake of getting a treat mix (with a chinchilla on the front) of raisins rose hips and papaya. Being a new chin owner I thought that they can have the rose hips and raisins. Found out yesterday no raisins. Glad I didn't give Leo any.

Anyway. I now have this huge treat thing that I don't want to throw out, and wanted to give to someone with a small animal that could use it (maybe post on craigslist, because there are nice people on it that might toss me a couple bucks to get a healthy treat for him).

What small animals can eat raisins? (and possibly rose hips and dried papaya as well?)

if it hasn't been long since you bought this mix, take it back to the store and ask for a refund (usually this is no problem with a receipt), or for store credit if you don't have the receipt any more. i know petsmart has a good return policy, if you got it from there.

if you are stuck with it, pick out the rosehips and give them to your chin, and eat the raisins yourself, lol. as for the papaya, try it to see if it's edible (i'm not a papaya fan at all).

just like with chins, other rodents can't exactly brush their teeth, and i would be worried about the natural sugars causing cavities/dental deterioration.

I'll probably see if I can return it....the only thing is that it had a freshness seal on it that I already removed.

I was thinking maybe rats could eat them? because they eat just about everything. But I'm worried about the whole too much sugar in their diet thing. Does anyone know any more on this?

Rabbits can only have raisin or anything else sweet on a limited basis, based on weight. Miss Hoppy was a little over 3 pounds, so she was allowed 3 raisins per day and it became our routine every night at 11 p.m. sharp.

Maybe find someone with a bird - some of the parrots and other birds eat fruit, so they might be okay with that as a treat.

Or, if that fails, you could put it outside for the wild birds and squirrels!

I'm going to try to see if I can return it pulling a "when I got home it had its seal off of it and I don't want to risk anything" boo to corporate america lol

I got it from PetGoods, as around here they only have that and PetCo, and PetGoods has a WAY better small animal selecetion. I'll see how returning it goes.

Latest posts

Back