skin color and heat question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chins1222

i dont own a hedgehog but my friend does and i posting a few questions for her

she has an albino hedgehog and his skin is a purpleish color. is this normal for albinos?

i have not seen it yet so i am not sure how purple but when i have been to her house before i never noticed his skin being purple before

also she doesn't have a heating element on him and can't afford one right now, i know , i know, but i have already told her she needs one asap.

anyway i have an extra fixture i can loan her but i dont have a red bulb or CHE, would a regular heat bulb be ok to leave on 24/7 for now until she can get one of the other two?

i dont know a lot about hedgehogs since i don't own one, but i do know they need heat and i do know he is on a good diet(b/c i told her what to buy)
he is on wellness and royal canin mixed.

any help is most appreciated

thanks

Albino hedgehogs should have pink skin. Is there any chance the hedgehog anointed with something of similar color and has stained its skin? Otherwise, I would be afraid the coloring was from bruising.

So long as the temperature in the cage is 72+ the hedgehog should be fine. You don't exactly have to have a CHE to accomplish this. My hedgehogs are in the warmest room of my house and the furnace maintains the temperature pretty well, when needed, I do use a space heater to supplement. Basically so long as you can find a way to keep the cage at 72+ the hedgehog should be fine.

I would stay away from heat lamps that give off light. Many many hedgehogs will not come out in bright light, having a heat lamp on that emits light will keep the hedgehog from being active and likely from eating.

yes i figured it would but i was thinking it would be better than nothing

they have a portable heater but it is only set at 69 degrees and they don't keep it on all the time so i am guessing the room stays cooler than that :(

i told her to turn it up and i am bringing over my temp gun to measure the temp in his cage to see exactly what the temps are

what can i do to raise them if they still aren't warm enough?
is a red heat bulb ok? i suppose i could buy one for her if they can't see red.

thanks

Red lights are hit or miss with hedgehogs. Some don't seem to notice it, others seem to see it just fine. Also don't forget that you need to include a thermostat with a CHE or heat lamp so that it doesn't over heat the hedgehog.

Another temporarily solution would be a heating pad. You can put it in sleeping areas so that the hedgehog has a place to get warm.

ok i will see if she has one

or if we have a thermostat i can let her borrow as well
thanks

Back