size of tiles for ferret nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnyluver

I have been contemplating moving from fleece to tiles for a while and I'm finally fed up enough with the fleece, plus I have one who has decided chewing it is fun. Is there a size of tile that I can purchase that will fit well in the ferret nation bass pans or am I doomed to try to find someone to cut it for me?
Thanks in advance!

Thank you guys! I actually already have the bass pans :). I actually found something that works perfectly today called cement board. We were able to cut it to size, it's fairly light weight, moisture resistant and hard enough that the girls can't chew it (I've been a paranoid mother watching them for the past two hours). They tried and gave up. To be sure, I have tiles and fleece accessories around where there is a gap. Added a few chew toys and they could care less about the floor!

And I was originally asking about a size that could be purchased and then pieced together like I have seen other people doing on the forum :)

Pictures of a still dirty morning cage but you get the idea!

Attachments

• unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 18
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 18
We can't see the pics, attaching no longer works.
(I hope they figure out what's going on with attachments soon. :/)

I upload my photos to tinypic.com and then post the direct links. It even lets you resize the pics as you upload them. :)

sbphqu.jpg

v4mrmp.jpg

I'm curious about that too. In one hand it makes more sense than using fleece, but it sort of makes no sense at the same time. Where does the urine go to?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

um, YIKES. in those pictures, were the chins just peeing directly on the pan? that seems incredibly unsanitary....?

it was always my understanding that the fleece covering the floor of the cage was to absorb urine. if the floor is metal or tile or anything hard.... doesnt the pee just sit there in a puddle? what if a chinnie walks into it? ugh. sounds very yucky.

i have 4 chin cages. in 3 i use fleece because those chins pee anywhere. but the LAUNDRY it creates... ugh! I have 1 chin who only pees in the corners, so in that cage i'm able to use pans filled with pine shavings.... SO MUCH easier so to clean. and that chin wont pee on the floor, so it's just Bass pan, no tile.

but i simply cant wrap my head around a plain metal/tile floor with no where for them to pee? am i missing something?

yea, it is kinda nasty. Most of those pics were taken when i was taking the metal pan out to clean. But you can see in the middle pic that i have four corner litter pans in there with shavings. - They used them for a long time. It was just one girl that decided she no longer wanted to one day, and started peeing directly on the metal pan. I try to clean it up as soon as i see it, but they primarily do it at night when im asleep. So it can sit there a bit until i wake up. I assume its the acidity in the urine that has eaten away at the tray over the years. - I might add that in those pics, the urine is all cleaned up. What you see is the tray that has been eaten up/rusted out type of thing.

I have wanted to try fleece linings in conjunction with the litter pans, but i could never afford enough of them. It would probably be a futile endeavor tho, they like to chew up fleece items. Ive had to remove half the fleece from there cage.

Even with the fleece changed regularly, my pans were starting to corrode. We're working on potty training but it's still a work in progress lol. My parents are taking care of the girls while I'm in the dorm (hopefully getting an apartment this summer) so I'm also just trying to minimize the work for them :). This seems to be working very well:thumbsup:

And the chewing was the other big issue, I made all of own fleece stuff and it is very frustrating to see them destroy all of the nice liners I sewed. They don't mess with their hammocks or hanging houses though.

Back