Sick dog.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreya

I know a lot of you have other pets, so maybe you have some suggestions?

Rocko is my 10 year old Chihuahua who with the exception of last spring when he had a freak illness, has been perfectly healthy. In the spring of 2011 (I think it was March) one night he started throwing up and wouldn't stop. He couldn't even hold down water and would throw it up a minute or so after drinking it. I took him to the vet where they treated him with fluids for dehydration and injectable Cerenia. They also gave him an antibiotic injection incase he had some sort of infection. They did blood work and his white blood cell count was high and she said he could have cancer or it could just be high from an infection. They gave me Cerenia tabs to take home and I was to feed him a bland diet and "bring him back if he got sick again".

I now go to a different vet.

Well up until last night? he was fine. Last night I noticed his chin looked a little fatter (but only slightly) but he tends to pork out in the winter so I didn't think too much of it. He woke me up really early this morning scratching himself and I thought that maybe he just got a flea; I think that I was a few days late giving him his Frontline, as I couldn't remember the exact date I gave it to them last time and it's been unusually warm here this "winter". I had an 11 am vet appointment for my cat (they are loving me lately) and shortly after I got home he started throwing up everywhere. I then noticed his chin/neck area had swelled up and was huge. When I picked him up he also felt warm. So I called the vet immediately and they said to bring him right in. In between I noticed him scratching at his neck. She checked his temp, which was fine. She took blood, which I should have results tomorrow and we discussed treatment options. She offered a Cerenia injection but said that they are very painful and I thought (stupid me) that I still had some tablets left from before (which I must have lost; I recently moved) so I passed on it. Besides the puffiness, he has two definite irritated lumps under his chin that she said could be bites from something that he is having an allergic reaction to, or it could be something else, the "cancer" word came up again, possible tumors...She said to give him Benadryl incase it is an allergy and the Cerenia tablets I thought that I had. I get home and can't find them, anywhere so I called her and asked if she could call them into somewhere but she couldn't and they don't stock the tabs, only the injection and it was too late to bring him back. She said that I could bring him first thing in the morning for an injection but I can't because I have to work. She said to feed him bland foods (boiled chicken and plain rice) and I tried but he is vomiting everything up again. He threw up on the car ride home, again a bit later, and then again after he ate a teeny bit of chicken and rice, like two bites max. It's been a few hours since I gave him the Benadryl and he is still puffy and sleeping on the couch next to me. I gave him a teeny bit of pepcid AC liquid that I had leftover from when Ari was sick when I first found that I didn't have the tabs, but am wondering if I should try giving him some more? I know they said it was safe to give to my other dog who sometimes has stomach issues from her Novox (a generic of Rimadyl)... I'm just kind of at a loss. He hasn't thrown up in about an hour but he hasn't had anything to eat or drink either..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No suggestions for you, sorry, but here's hoping that this all gets figured out and he has a quick recovery.

Pepcid AC may or may not work, depending on what is causing the vomiting. It does sound like some sort of allergic reaction to be causing vomiting and edema. Has the benadryl helped even a little?

Could he have eaten something or touched something that he's not used to? When did you put the Frontline on? If it was from the frontline, the reaction would pop up very quickly after application. If you think he may have had contact with something on his skin that could be causing it then I would give him a bath.

Did he get any fluids at the vet? With all the vomiting he could quickly become dehydrated, which is something you want to watch out for. Since he hasn't thrown up in a little while, I would try with just the rice - give maybe a teaspoon to a tablespoon, the same amount of water and then wait a little longer before trying to give him more.

Thanks, grey, me too.

Alicyn: No. I just got him to sit up and it looks a little less irritated but not really smaller. He hasn't scratched at it since I gave him the Benadryl. I even gave him a teeny bit more than the half tab that he was supposed to have.

I didn't put on his flea stuff until after the vomiting and swelling started. Because I forgot first thing this morning and by the time I remembered he was sick and I was busy trying to get him to the vet. I put it on a while after I got home from the vet. He gets it on the back of his neck where there is no swelling and it's technically Pet Armor Plus (generic Frontline) but it is his third dose and he's not had any issues with it.

He hasn't gotten into anything in the house. He could have eaten something from the back yard but there isn't much more back there than some weeds, leaves and sticks and he doesn't spend much time outside other than to go potty, because he gets cold easily. I can't think of anything he could have rubbed against and only gotten on his neck... The lumps on his neck are very distinct and palpable. The vet was worried about them and hoping that they were "bites". I think this is what she said it -could- be and he has a lot of the symptoms:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/lymphosarcoma-lymphoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

All I can say is that I very much hope that it is not. :(

He didn't get any fluids because at the point I brought him he had only thrown up once. I can't believe I lost his Cerenia. I got him to take a little water. I will see if I can get him to take a little rice. I'm so worried about going to work tomorrow. =/

Thank you. =)

I never associated lymphoma/lymphosarcoma with itching and vomiting, but then we haven't had oncology yet.
Is it indeed the lymph nodes under the jaw that are swollen? Were any other lymph nodes swollen? Did the vet take an aspirate to do cytology/histology, or are they waiting for the bloodwork to come back?

I also really hope it isn't lymphoma. I just saw a dog a couple weeks ago with HUGE lymph nodes all over his body, I think the owners were bringing him in for evaluation for chemotherapy.
I hope the little guy eats some and keeps it down for you! Just take it a little at a time!

Alicyn,

I just realized why you are waiting for 5/17/14 = I'm a little slow. =)

The vet did say that usually dogs who have that are more vocal about their discomfort. I'm not sure if it his lymph nodes but I think so. She didn't say any others were swollen. She is waiting on the blood work and to see if the swelling goes down with the Benadryl. She said we could panic and check everything today (or whatever I wanted checked) or we could go more conservative and see if the things I have been doing help. Since two weeks ago I panicked and had them check everything (urine/culture/x-rays/blood work) on my cat and they ended up not finding anything, I decided to just have her do blood work and go from there. I didn't think he would keep vomiting.

Wow. That poor dog! =( I can't remember what type of cancer, but I recently read about a Boston Terrier that had cancer and they did chemo and from the diagnosis until she died it was three months and she was miserable and in pain the entire time. Okay, I can't think about that.. I'm going to be a wreck.

I have done what you said. I am giving him a little bit of rice at a time but he just threw it all up again. =( I gave him a bit. He held it down. I waited 15 minutes, gave him a little bit more. He held it down. I gave him a little water and he just threw up. My poor baby. If we make it through tonight, I may have to take him to either the 24 hour animal hospital or Banfield/Pet Smart since they are open on the weekends. My normal vet is only open until noon tomorrow and I work 7-3:30, though I am going to try and get out of work early, I don't think I can get out that early.

Haha, yes I'm almost halfway through vet school!

I feel so bad for your poor guy that he can't keep anything down. I don't really have any more suggestions for that, other than taking him back to the vet for an anti-emetic/anti-nausea drug and fluids.

Definitely keep us posted on the blood work results. Not all chemo is as terrible as for that Boston. Apparently it is less harsh on dogs' systems than on humans. I work in the clinical pathology lab and we have "Chemo Friday" where the current patients on chemo get blood work done the friday before treatment and we've been treating some of them for many many months - it really depends on the type of cancer!

Congrats!

Thanks. He's still not holding down food but his neck seems a little less swollen. I gave him some more Benadryl because he was itchy. I checked his neck and he doesn't feel dehydrated at this point. I have to go to work but I will update you if I find out anything.

So I was able to get out of work this morning long enough to take Rocko to the vet before they closed at noon. Rocko had some subcu fluids and a Cerenia injection and although he was throwing up this afternoon, he stopped by this evening and has been able to keep down a minimal amount of chicken and rice. At first she wanted him NPO for 24 hours but I told her that he hadn't been able to keep food down since Thursday night and she said it was okay to feed him a little tonight. The swollen lumps on his neck are gone, both of them and the vet thinks that he reacted to something, though I still have no idea what. His blood work came back with high white blood cells and a high alk phos level and something else for his liver that was apparently high last year as well. If he can kick whatever he has right now, she wants to recheck his blood in a couple months and if things are still high to do an ultrasound to check for liver issues.

I don't want to jinx myself (or him) but I am very happy that he is retaining something and feeling a little better tonight. I also absolutely love my vet. Not only is she great with my chin, cat, and dog, she got Rocko in today when she didn't have any actual appointments and is very reasonable with her pricing (VERY much so, today). She really is great and I trust her.

Thanks again Alicyn for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Last night was stressful. I'm hoping we both (me and Rocko) sleep better tonight. =)

Back