Sick Chinnie, advice needed.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 25 cc into him this morning when I got home from work. Then about 4 hours later he only let me get about 15 into him before he started freaking out. I just gave him his meds (with a little CC chaser) and I will be hand feeding him again in 2 hours. I am trying my hardest to get at least to get at least 80-100cc into him today.

Now that's a good thing! Here's hoping there's no plastic stuck in the gums from the syringes!

Just asked my wife, [a nurse] if she'd ever heard of a syringe made out of anything other than glass or plastic. Yes, they do make them for the neuclear field, but they're destroyed after use.
She'll try to find out the manufacturer, sizes available and costs!

Since I forgot to update here yesterday I am going to put up what I wrote on another forum. It's older news since a few things have changed, but I want to keep the people updated who kept asking. :)

The vet told me honestly that he thinks he has about a 30% chance of survival. I broke down in the vets office. He just let me cry it out which was nice of him. I can't blame him for telling me though. I specifically asked him "Realistically, what are his chances?"

I am going to do everything I can. He is actually on baytril in pill form because they vet said it actually tastes better if I crush it and mix it with a bit of banana baby food. It's the first thing Buttons would eat without me forcing it. I give a 1/4 of a 22.7mg pill twice a day. I asked the vet about injectable and he said in his opinion it works no faster than the oral. He also had the lasix shot with the subq fluids today. Other than that he is getting CC (he actually gained a bit of weight so he said whatever I am doing there is working), probiotics and the vet told me today to give him a bit of vitamin C.

That was yesterday when I was having a horrible day. From what other here had recommended I started nebulizing him with Albuterol (luckily I have a roommate with asthma so I had everything I need right there). After nebulizing for an evening, this is where we are now.

He is pooping, especially when he is being nebulized. I'm not sure why more then, but there are at least 20 little poops in the carrier when he's done. His poos aren't 100% but they are definitely there and looking better by the day. He's still not eating on his own, but with the Reglan, CC and probiotics it's keeping his digestive tract in gear.

He is definitely doing better today. I think the baytril is starting to kick in now. Every few hours he seems a little bit better. No mouth breathing, spunky (when he's out of his cage when he's inside he does sleep a fair amount), still attacking the syringe, even ran around for about 15 min for a small playtime (wanted to keep his gut moving). His nose is still a bit stuffy but absolutely nothing like it was. I've also been suplimenting him with vitamin C which the vet recommended. I crush a vitamin C tablet and empty an acidopholous capsule and mix it togeter with a bit of water and put it in a 1cc syringe. It makes his mouth all orange, but he does really like it.

He's still far from healed, but I have hope. He seems to be fighting, which makes me want to fight that much harder.

He is being nebulized, for now, 4 times a day. 2 with albuterol and 2 with just plain saline. It really seems to be helping him. He even goes up to the nebulizer and puts his snout right to it. I think he likes the way it feels going in.

Oh Buttons, be strong and pull through. You are doing great with him Essentia, keep trying.

i hope buttons is ok...he has been through so much...i'm thinking of you guys!!! all the best

My husband is trying his hand with syringe feeding this afternoon since I am working an 11 hour shift (BOO). We'll see how this goes. :p He got Buttons to take his meds yesterday so hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

I told him anything he could get in him was a good thing and that when I get home I would give him a full feeding. He's also giving him the probiotics and vitamin C. Yay for a helpful hubby!

Crysta, you have a great hubby to help you out with your little guy. It's at this time when you need him the most. I'm very happy for you.

Hubby said he got 20 cc into him about about 10 on himself. :p He also said that he got so roudy that he had to let him go for a few minutes. In that time he ran around the entire living room and it took him about 10 minutes to actually catch him once he filled up the syringe again. He has energy! Yay!

His eyes are no longer watering and he is now breathing completely through his nose. His poos now look great and he has a lot more energy. Still not eating on his own, but I can deal with that. :) While he's not out of the woods yet he is starting to act more like his old self. Take that Mr. Vet!

Yaaaaaay! I just knew he was so little because he's determination in concentrated form! Just add water!

Glad to hear he's doing better. :)

Ummmm....yeah. He was 457 on Saturday and 462 on Monday. I just weighed him and he is 512....

I did just feed him so I have to also take that into account. Do you think I am feeding him too much? I feed him 3 times a day with 25-30cc each time. If I am able to feed him 4 times a day I lessen the amount to 20-25cc.

He isn't gassy and he's pooing great. When feeding him he had 7 poos come out.

Latest posts

Back