Sick Chin help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcakexo228

Hi,

So I stared my Easter vacation today and I noticed that my chinchilla, Aurora, was sleeping at the bottom of her cage. Now normally whenever I she's sleeping she's in her hammock. So I opened up the cage and she woke up a little but didn't run to greet me or anything, so I put my hand next to her and she fell asleep on it. I kept my hand in there for a bit and she got up and ate some fuzzy ends of hay but just went back to sleep. I also noticed that her food dish was knocked over, and all the food spilled out of the side of the cage and it was empty. I refilled that and I left her.

Now, I just got back home and I was out but she is still asleep in the corner, and that is extremely odd for her. By now she's usually jumping around her cage. I was able to scoop her up without grabbing her tail, which is also odd because she normally hates when I hold her.

I've told my mom, but obviously I can't take her anywhere now, it's midnight. But I'll probably be taking her to the vet tomorrow.

So what should I do now? Should I move her out of her cage into a paper towel lined cat carrier for the night to monitor her poos?

Also what is the closest chin treating vet near Scranton Pennsylvania?
(I think I asked this question before but on Chins&Quills)

I also put her dust bath in her cage and placed her near it (I was holding her) she got in clumsily, slowly turned over about three times and then climbed out and went back to laying in the corner. She wasn't at all like her normal self.

Last edited:
Also; Earlier when Aurora was on my hand I think she was grinding her teeth, and she'd also get up and get a piece of bedding and chew on it a bit. Also earlier, when I realized her food dish was empty, I gave her about three pellets at her feet, and I think she ate all of them.

Should I try to massage her stomach? I'm not sure what to do.

You should only be massaging her belly if you suspect bloat. If she is bloated she will feel like in her belly--as it will be larger than normal. You do need to monitor closely her poos--is she eating, is she pooing? If any of these things are not happening then a trip to the vet is a must. If you notice labored breathing again a trip to the vet.

Did she possibly eat anything bad for her? Might need some activated carbon from the vet (similar thing happened to ours once, he was wobbly and kept passing out, figured out he had nibbled on a cleaning rag that had fallen on the floor and got sick :( )

That's my only thought...good luck though!!!

You said she was eating some bedding - if it's pine, that's O.K., but if it was carefresh, that's not so good, especially if she ate a lot, in place of her spilled food!
I'd say a vet visit is in order, either way, to find the cause - x-rays and all! The treatments are the opposite for constipation or diarea and a wrong call could cause more serious problems!

her beddings pine, not carefresh.

I've set her up in a fleece lined cat carrier to monitor her poops for the night, I wasn't sure if she was dehydrated but I force fed her some water, just in case. Her poops are on the small side as of right now.

Tomorrow if she's still acting this way I'm taking her to the vet.

Aurora's still not doing great and I've been calling different emergency pets near me, and all the ones that are open either don't treat chinchillas, or the person that treats chinchillas is out.

I've called a local vet, but unfortunately I can't find her hours anywhere, so I left a message saying to call as soon as they open.

The closest animal hospital that I found that is open right now is 2 hours away.

So do I wait for the call from the local vet, or should I convince my mom to start driving to the emergency hospital?

I haven't slept all night, I just don't know what to do. :(

Sorry to say I don't think you have much time. The teeth grinding means she is in pain. It does sound like bloat.

You need Reglan, Propulsid, baby gas drops, belly massages and sub c fluids if she is to have a chance at all. Force feed her critical care (I would order some now if you can) and baby gas drops until you can get her in. I would write down what I wrote, the meds, and make sure the vet gives them. They go downhill very fast. Are you rubbing her belly? I would be at the evet now, even if it were just to start the meds. If it gets to far, there is really nothing but a miracle and an operation to help.

Good luck! Make the vet give those drugs- PM me if you want my number, I would be glad to help if I can.

She didn't make it.

She was struggling on the way down, and her breaths were uneven. Once we got there they took her in the back right away. While I was talking to one of the nurses the doctor came out and said her heart had stopped and they were trying CPR, but it didn't work. The doctor also said that they didn't think it was a bloat, but rather a respiratory problem that would have been difficult to treat even if we got her there sooner.

We took her to Cornell University Hospital for Animals. They all were extremely nice there and seemed knowledgeable on Chins.

I still can't believe this happened so fast. And I don't think any smilie on here can show how awful I feel right now.

RIP: Aurora :flowers4:

I'm so sorry for you loss. Did you notice any difficulty breathing before? Perhaps in hindsight?

Enjoy your new home over the Rainbow Bridge Aurora, jumping and kacking until you meet again. :angel8:
I'm sorry for your loss and pain, Theresa

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Our small friends have very high metabolisms so illnesses travel through their bodies quickly - oftentimes there isn't anything we can do by the time they show signs of even being sick.

Jaye, I am so sorry you lost her. I was hoping for a better update :( *hugs*

Back