Show Lighting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetrue

I'm looking to setup some show lights in my basement and was wondering what the official bulb type/model is for the show lights? Can anyone help me?

Cheryl

"May use any Daylight tube you feel is good. The MCBA board has tested bulbs and suggests that the Chapters use the GE SP65 bulb"

Straight from The MCBA Show Rules (at a glance)

If you are not setting up your lights before say nationals or York, I know Ryerson will sell you bulbs too.... You just gotta ask them for it... I'm sure they will deliver to anywhere you need!

If you are not setting up your lights before say nationals or York, I know Ryerson will sell you bulbs too.... You just gotta ask them for it... I'm sure they will deliver to anywhere you need!

Hmm that's good to know! I have to call them up about picking up supplies at Nationals anyways. I'll ask them what their pricing is for the bulbs at the same time!

Let me know if you need help. I would love to take advantage of your set up

Lol I'm sure you would! Do you remember the demonstration that Lisa Candy did at the shindig? If so you could def help me out!

Cheryl

I just want to add that the rules on bulbs that MCBA uses differ from ECBC. Here is a link to a seminar by Dick Bradford on show lighting.

https://www.chinchillas.com/newsletter/volume5number1.htm

In essence, you want a bulb that represents full spectrum lighting. As a result, the bulb should have a high CRI rating; the higher the number, the better the accuracy of color under the light.

That was a very helpful article. It will definitely sway my bulb choice Thank You!

Cheryl

I would still check with Ryersons. Since they show in both, the bulbs they sell (or at least use to) should be regulated with both ECBC and MCBA. You could call Dave Woods too... He can tell you ALOT about how each bulb works. I know he has used alot over the years, and they may differ from just the ones in the article.

I remember Dave talking about a bulb someone had convinced them to use at a show, and it was too good. I don't remember the specific bulb he mentioned, but it made every animal look clear and he had a hard time choosing between champions and reserves.

F40DX lamps and GE Daylight F40 lamps are the best tubes to use. The Duotest SP65's I feel make everything blue and do not give a true color of the animal. You can get the GE Daylight F40's at your local Home Depot and they are also much cheaper. I also use them for lighting the unit now.

The above post should be the Philips F40DX tubes are available at Home Depot. The Philips tubes were compared by several of us to the Service F40DX and the Old GE F40's with little differance between the three.

The paper of choice at most all MCBA and ECBC shows now is the HP Universal Inkjet 36 Inch x 150 Feet Bond Paper (Q1397A)

The SP65 tubes are no longer approved by ECBC. The approved bulbs are: Service F40DX Daylight, Phillips F40DX Daylight and GE F40DX Daylight. the show table paper we use is Hewlett Packard, coated, 36 inches wide and 150 feet length. Stock number is HPQ1405A. This paper is only used on the juding table.

Well it looks like I posted the wrong number for the paper. I am not very with it today!

That's interesting to hear that they are different. I always assumed a 6500k bulb was the same all around, never considered the CRI rating.

I've been using the Phillips 6500K (F40DX) tubes from Lowes. $19 for a box of 10. The CRI rating on them is 84.

Would these bulbs also suffer from being "too accurate" therefore making all chinchillas look blue due to their 90 CRI?

http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr...tionFilter=FT0025:Fluorescent^FT0007:Sunshine

I also notice their color temperature is also lower, being 5000K vs the 6500K in the F40DX lights. I only ask because we do not have a Home Depot near us, however there is a Lowe's and they do sell these bulbs, along with Plant Aquarium bulbs that also have a CRI of 90 but with a color temp of 3100K. Both also have a far smaller lumen than the F40DX (2100 vs 800 or 500), therefore might not be bright enough to see as well as needed to judge.

Also on but off-topic, for those not wanting to hang fluorescent lighting fixtures from their ceiling, what would you recommend for a fluorescent lighting setup? I'd love to make one of the setups like what is used on judging tables, but I'm not quite certain what is used to hold the fixtures up!

If I can dig up some old show photos, I can show you what they use... Since we can't hang them from the ceiling at shows, a stand was created.... Basically it's in a upside down U shape, and the lights hang from that.

Back