Should i feed more?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

This is one ive never had to deal with before with any of my chins.

A little background info. When i took in my first chin, he was on some type of pet store food with all the little 'extras' in them. I eventually switched them over to Select Series Pro pellets. I started by mixing them a little bit to ween them off the old food slowly. After the very first night of feeding them the mix, i came in the next day to see that they ate all the new food and wouldn't touch the food they were used to. Which shocked me to no end.

So they have been eating the Select Series Pro for a number of years. When Chico was diagnosed with diabetes, i had to switch his food. It was switched over to American Pet Diner pellets. What i didnt realize at the time was that i ordered a Timothy hay based pellet. I usually stick to alfalfa based pellets with timothy lose hay to give them a rounded diet. But i was stuck with the Timothy pellets for a while. They ate it, but wernt thrilled with it.

I got the bags of the Alfalfa pellets in and started using them. Not only are my boys eating every last pellet, but they want moooooore. My boys who dont want to be disturbed when they are starting to wake up for ANYTHING; i have found them awake and at the bars already excited when it was feeding time. 0.0 Even some times when i check on them in the morning to spot clean cages, they will come running out to the bowls and stare at me excitedly. its unbelievable. Ive never had this kind of excitement from a chin over pellets before.

Now i always measure the food i give them. Only so i can gauge there appetite. I usually give each chin 2~ tbls. But they have been going through that and more every day and are still wanting more.

Im not sure just how much i should give them, and what a limit should be. Ive never had a chin that might reach that point before.

2 tbs is just the average amount that chins normally eat, some eat more some eat less, my boys eat 2-4 tbs per day. I agree with the idea of measuring, I do the same, but I give them as much as they want to eat, if the bowl is empty I fill it. Unless the chin is overweight or on a diet for some reason it seems free feeding is the way most people go since chin's don't over eat (unless of course with a treat filled food but that's a whole other story).

that is part of what has me wondering. Ive had chico for 8 yrs or so and his son houdini since the beginning of 2010, so 4.5~ years. They've never ate this much. With giving 2~ tbls each they might clean the bowl give or take the last few pellets. But that's usually the most they will eat. Very rarely ive had to add more food because the bowl was empty. With this new food, they are acting like there addicted to it. More more more more!

I fed them around 5.30pm or so tonight and by 11pm there bowls are almost empty. Going from that much in a full day to that much in a few hours is a drastic change imo.

I would free feed them. Allow them as many pellets as they want. This is what is recommended for chins. Ignoring hay will diminish as they become accustomed to having the new feed all the time.

i walked in there room earlier today while they should have been asleep. Chico heard me and came bolting out to the food dish excited as could be, hoping for more. He is addicted. In all these years the only thing that has ever got him THIS excited is being with his girl ;) :kiss:

Fed them 3~ tbls each last night. There are only the tinniest little pellets left at the bottom of there bowls this morning. And they stayed asleep/hidden in there hut when i was in there. No running out.

I free feed mine. If they eat it all, I refill it. Most of the time they leave little bits in there, so I just dump it and give them new food.

3 tbls yesterday and all gone by the time of there next feeding. So i gave them 4tbls each and there was finally some left overs in the bowl. From a bit below 2 tbls to almost 4 tbls, thats a large increase imo. They must rly like that new food'

Back