Shipping Baked Goods

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesame

I'm an avid hobby baker and would love to share the things I make with friends and family. Especially since the temperature is starting to drop, I think it's a little bit more feasible to ship things.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping things such as cookies of all sorts, bars, loaves of bread, etc. I know that sturdier desserts will have a higher chance of making it intact... But, any tips to prevent breakage or squishing?

Also, should I be worried about high moisture build-up? Should I look into getting desiccant packets (also, anyone know any stores that carry this?)? I think I would do priority mail (like 2 day mail), but I want to make sure I don't send my sister a moldy box ;)

I don't know much about shipping baked goods...I do know that my mom tried to ship chocolate doughnuts to my brother in Guam once, and they showed up as a crumbled mess lol. They didn't melt, they just got smashed....idk!

I've gotten cookies shipped to me from Florida before, and they arrived just fine, no moisture problems or anything. They weren't chocolate chip though. She had packaged them in saran wrap in groups of 4 and then bubble wrapped around each group. They were sent priority.

I've also gotten candy bars and chocolate chip cookies sent to me when I was at college. They didn't have any problems. So long as you pack the cookies so that they don't bang around a bunch, they come out okay.

I remember reading that a cheap alternative to packing peanuts or bubble wrap is to put air popped popcorn in the box.
I am not a baker at all!! I attempt at Christmas but that is about it.

My grandmother used to use empty Pringles canisters to send cookies to my brother and me at summer camp. Worked wonderfully... you just can't bake huge cookies though.

We get baked stuff from Hawaii every Christmas to Minnesota and Florida. They use tin containers like those big things of popcorn come in, those metal saltine cracker tins, etc. They rap the cookie, bars, candies, etc. in saran wrap too, usually cute green and red colors. They come in great condition every single year....yum! Chocolate chip cookies were great, she makes them fairly small to help them not break so much too.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping things such as cookies of all sorts, bars, loaves of bread, etc. I know that sturdier desserts will have a higher chance of making it intact... But, any tips to prevent breakage or squishing?

My mom sends me the annual Christmas Cookie variety every year - grandma makes about 20 different things from fudge/brittle to weird scary I'm-not-sure-whats-in-it cookies.

Last year I got them in a fake gator leather shoe box she'd gotten from work. They arrived in good shape because she used wax paper to separate the weird stuff.

The year before it was loose in a hat box. Certain things were a little damaged, but still tasty. :p

Bread is another critter, home meade bread doesn't have preservatives in it and is very likely to mold during shipment or soon after due to climatic changes. Banana bread is a big culprit for that.

You're welcome to send me samples and I'll let you know how it arrives! :D

hehe Thanks everyone for the tips!

I'll try to remember to post pictures of what I end up shipping to my sister :D

I hear you Spoof... I'm just worried about the bread getting all moldy... I think I might just get some of those dessicant packets for the bread loaves.

Back