Selling to "Oh my chinchilla died so I want a new one."

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVchinchillas

Hi, I had a woman call me today saying that her chinchilla died today and she wanted to buy a new one. She said that he was 4 years old and she had to put him down. I am not sure if I should sell a kit to her so I would love your help. Do you think it would be okay to sell a kit to her if I educate her about their needs? I have never sold to anyone that said that their chinchilla died so I would like to know if its a good idea.

Thank you :)

John

It depends on why she had to have it put down. If it was something that was beyond her control, I would not hold it against her. Sometimes, too, things just happen, chins get sick or injured. It happens to the best of us. I recommend talking to her her to find out the why's and educating her if necessary.

That's not enough information to base a decision on. Rather than educate her right off the bat, start by educating yourself as to what she does and does not already know about chinchillas and their care. Do your due diligence before making a decision. There are many reasons why responsible pet owners might have to "put a pet down".

You may already know this information but asking our opinion without giving or getting the whole story makes it kind of hard to offer advice.

Thanks guys for your help! It was a brief call so I will definitely call her back to get the details about why he had passed. I am just looking out for my kits and I wouldn't want them to get hurt in anyway, she had said she had him for 6 months but he was 4 years old. She sounds like a great home for him but I was on edge once she said her chinchilla had passed. I do understand though since I had one of my chinchillas pass. I will definitely dig deeper like I usually do to make sure the chins go to happy homes.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.
I hope you are having a great weekend :)

Back