Selling a car- title question.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackie

I bite.
My grandma is selling a car that is registered under my grandpa's name who is now deceased. Since it's his name on the title, how do we go about signing it when we sell it? Can my grandma sign it, or do we have to go to the DMV and get the name changed first? Or something else?

Last edited:
I believe you need to bring the death certificate if you go to DMV. If you are doing a private sale I think she can sign it. But you are in luck because we sell cars and I have to go to DMV in a few minutes to pick up titles and I will ask!

Stacy, call your DMV and ask what they require.

Each state can behave a little differently. I found reference that in Texas you have to fill out a certificate of heirship & submit that with the death certificate. In Michigan you present the title, the current registration or license plate number (if there is one), and a copy of the death certificate to a Secretary of State to transfer the title.

I work in a funeral home and you will need a copy of the death certificate, in some cases grandma will have to get his name off the title first then she will sign off singlely!

Good Luck
Sally

stacie--i asked my friend who is the floor manager at dmv and he said if it is a private sale your grandmother can just sign your grandfathers name. or she can even sign her name. since dmv isnt getting involved until the new owner is putting it is his name, no one will even know. who is to say he didnt sign it before his death.

When I bought my car, it was under the lady's son's name. He is in a different state, but she just signed it over to us with her name. We went to the DMV and showed them the old title, and they made a new one in our name. But I would call just to double check what you need.

Latest posts

Back