seen baby skull in xray

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got a second opinion! When I saw you said she stopped gaining weight, I wanted to add that all my females start gaining weight about 2 months prior and then stop about 2-3 weeks prior to delivery. Hope all goes well for momma and kit.

Sorry that I didn't read this sooner. I had the same thing happen to me. I took my girl Pooh in because I suspected that she was pregnant. The vet took x-rays and, not having much experience with babies, thought that they had died. She wanted to do surgury but we decided to wait for a month to see if anything happened. I was not pressured into having the surgury. In a month I took her back and my vet checked her again and said that she is definately pregnant and she could even feel movement. Three or four days later, Pooh gave birth to a girl and a stillborn baby. Something told me to give it more time and my vet was fine with it. I'm happy that things turned out this way for you. Good luck with your chin.

Gosh I don't know what to think about Vet #1. Thank goodness you took her to another vet for a second opinion. Wishing all the best for her and her kits. Looking forward to hearing the rest of this story.

It is so hard to guess their due dates. they seem to have more time to go then we think often.

Update

Took her back to the vet today because she wasnt eating, drinking, or going to the bathroom. The vet and I discussed emergency c section in 48 hours unless she gets worse. I have been giving her critical care, and the vet pumped her full of fluids. Tonight she was eating her hay!!! She is going to the bathroom, and the babies are very active! yes, I said babies. Two, possibly three. I am amazed that the first vet only seen a skull! Thinking the body reabsorbed the body! ha! These kidos are having a soccer match in there! Poor mama looks miserable! I have pics of the xray, but do not know how to post them. any help? I think I got it. THe one baby is VERY visual, but if you look, you see another set of legs, and a very faint spine on the other side. I think the skull is right behind the one that pops out at you. also if you look down by the bottom legs of the pop out at you one, there is another spine. Might belong to baby #2, but unsure.

Attachments

• xray1.jpg
    xray1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 59
  • xray2.jpg
    xray2.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 53
  • xray3.jpg
    xray3.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 53
  • xray4.jpg
    xray4.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 54
  • xray5.jpg
    xray5.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 53
OMG, I am so glad to hear that! Just a full sized skull did not seem normal...plus it is really hard to see those tiny kit bones, I have been told countless times there is only one, maybe 2 babies and get 3, so I know they are not that accurate. Very exciting though! Can't wait to see pictures!

Wow, in reading this whole thing, what a turn of events! So glad to hear momma is doing better and expecting multiple babies! Sounds like she must be close to delivering and can't wait to see pictures! Congratulations!!!!

so glad to hear you listened to your gut. congratulations.

i am a little worried about how much to and from the vet this mom is getting which may be the reason she stressed out and stopped eating.

i would put her alone in a quite place and not mess with her.

good luck and keep us posted.

I am with Shelli. It's time you leave her alone. It's not unusual for a mother to not eat or drink as much right before delivery. And with all of the stress of handling her is definately going to affect her eating and such. And no more xrays. Radiation is not good for any fetus's.

Jessica

Rick,

My Prada (pregnant with trips)had xrays awhile back and wasn't given anything.

I would agree, though, stop messing with her. Leave her in her cage, give her lots of feed and hay and let her chill!

I have to agree with everybody else. The more you keep hauling her back and forth to the vet, the more unneccessary stress you are causing her. She is probably close to delivery, and they generally don't eat much in the last couple of days. Just let nature take its course.

I thought it was kind of mesed up when vet #1 gave her medicine to do an xray. They said it was to calm her...when she wasnt even hyper. errr, I jut get frustrated every time I think of them! The last trip was needed though. She had quit eating, drinking, and pooping. She went almost 24 hours without a dropping, . The doc had to give her fluid treatment Which has helped a great deal. She is atleat nibbling her hay now, and having tiny droppings. There about the size of a 4 week old kit droppings, and only about one an hour. I also wanted to let you know she only had two xrays. I dont wnt you to think they went over board. the first one was the bad vet, the second was to either agree with the first vet, or disagree. The one I posted is different views taken with a digital camera. I have now just let her be since she is showing progress. The new vet said if there wasnt any progress, we would have to do a c section tomorrow so the momma wouldnt die. Fingers crossed she continues to do better! Just sitting and waiting now!

Didn't you get some LifeLine from Dawnna? She should gobble that right up, if mixed in a paste! I gave it to mine right on a spoon. It'll help her a lot!

Back