seen baby skull in xray

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome news. I am a firm believer in listening to that "little voice" inside us women! My herd and I wish you and your the best!

That's awesome news! I think it's commendable that you realize you are not ready for breeding right now. I think you should definitely do some reading in the "Breeding & Babies" section before she delivers. Most deliveries go fine, but you should be ready in case there are complications.

Best news I've heard in a while - with all the problems others have been having!
Congratulations and good luck with the new one!!
And I'd make the first vet aware of his/her mistake, and stop payment on the check - at least make the "Top Doc" at that clinic aware of the outcome!!

I will be posting a lot of pics, hopefully soon! Thanks again! Rickman~ I was dumb and payed cash last night, but you better believe they are going to be hearing from me! I was going to call them today, but I had to calm down a bit before I call. Abby~ yeah, I dont think I will ever be ready! I freak out way to much over small stuff, I would probably have a heart attack~ lol Jill~ I was from VA, but now in MO. I hate having to find new vets when you move!

I am very happy to hear momma and baby are doing well. I know you are as well. Good job listening to your instincts and not being bullied. There is one more thing that concerns me, you said the mom is a hetro beige white pink, and the dad is a homo beige white pink. That is a Lethal combining.
You can see the results of breeding these two parents at:
http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/genetics/ChinCrossCalculator.aspx
I don't want you to worry but thought you should know and tell the person you got her from that those two colors should NEVER be crossed.
I really hope I did not bum you because there is a 75% chance they will be fine. That is good odds.
Pink White (Homo Beige)
25.00%
Pink White (Hetero Beige)
25.00%
Lethal Homo White
25.00%
Beige (Homo)
12.50%

Beige (Hetero)
12.50%

mrsnation~ She said that she has only had one litter of three and they were all great. She also mentioned that some breeders choose not to mix the two for that fact, but she never had a problem. I didnt care because there was no intention of having future kits. I just let her tell me what she thought I should know. Which I am kind of thankful I listened! lol I was going to have the male neutered, but now, I have to find out the sex of the kit. Trust me, I am a bit worried though. That has crossed my mind. My question is, What can it do? I know it is lethal, but what should I be looking for? I can not find anything online except that it is lethal.
Kristy~ I hope I do too! I am ready for this gut wrencking feeling to go away!!! I also admit, I am a bit excited!

You know, I may have that wrong. I am going to have to post a picture. I do know she said something about homo beige white pink, and hetro beige white pink. The more I think about it, I think the offspring to the first litter was homo beige white pink. I will have to search old emails. I know she said she had no problems, but maybe she was saying the momma didnt have problems. I dont know. It is getting late and my brain isnt thinking correctly! lol

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lethal gene means that the kits wouldn't form. Not that the kit born would have genetic problems, but that you will essentially get less kits from the litters, or no kits at all depending.

But even with that, generally people don't breed white to white because whites have can have such poor fur quality. Whites tend to be cottony and have a yellow color to them. So by breeding white to white, you only make the problem worse. So well my guess is the breeder isn't breeding for show quality.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lethal gene means that the kits wouldn't form. Not that the kit born would have genetic problems, but that you will essentially get less kits from the litters, or no kits at all depending.

But even with that, generally people don't breed white to white because whites have can have such poor fur quality. Whites tend to be cottony and have a yellow color to them. So by breeding white to white, you only make the problem worse. So well my guess is the breeder isn't breeding for show quality.

Your right on all accounts.

the lathal factor doesn't man kits die...there is major debate about the exsistance of the factor at all. That feling of worry never stops I worry about the mom's no matter what, first kits or 100th I still worry.

Is the "Lethal" factor with white chins the same as Dobermans and the "Z factor"?
Sorry trying to understand and I know dogs better then chins :D

I dont know if she is breeding show quality, but she said the parents were. I also found an old email, and she said the dad was a homo beige, mom was hetro beige pink white. Her one and only litter was homo beige pink whites. I dont know if that makes a difference, but I wanted to make sure I got the right descriptions.

SO, I felt the baby move today. We have been having some problems. She is not eating and drinking on her own. My vet is standing by, she wants me to call her if she is no longer eating the critical care from the spoon, and if she has any discharge from the vagina.
Have another question. She hasnt had discharge, but she looks swollen. Is this normal? I will call my vet, but thought I would ask on here first.
Thanks again!

Sounds to me she's getting ready to go - I'd hang a 50/50 mix of water/unsweetened apple juice in the cage as it'll help bring the milk in!

Back