Scooping Poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleynicol3

How do you scoop the poop out of your chinchilla's cage? I'm using two layers of fleece (one big piece folded in half since I don't know how to sew) and I tried using a small brush and dustpan to scoop the poops, but it doesn't work well on the fleece. I also tried using the little hose on my vacuum to suck the poops up, but the hose sucked them up, then spit them back out. 😱 I guess it's not strong enough. Should I get a little handheld vacuum? I don't wanna take the fleece out every day to clean up the poops!

Most people that use fleece just buy a shopvac to suck up the poop, that way it doesn't get clogged with the hay and stick/wood pieces either. I just have a small pet vacuum that I use, it works, but wouldn't recommend it since it clogs a lot with hay and sticks, and the filter gets poop stuck in it.

I use the big kind of vacuum by Philips. The poop doesn't get stuck in the filter whatsoever and I can just take out the dust container after I'm done to clear all the rubbish that has accumulated. It's a good investment since I use it for housework as well.

Shop Vac (around a 3-5 HP one). Had mine for 6 years and going strong. I recommend buying a bigger hose than what comes with them, though. It never gets clogged.

I like my vacuum, just not the tube piece. I think I'm going to get a hand vac so I can use it for his poop and for the hay that he tosses out of his cage. That way, I won't have to get the big vacuum out all the time. I'll just look for one at Walmart, the higher the voltage, the better.

Hand vacs work for poop, but not for hay. I've had a couple and the Dirt Devil scorpion that I have now will suck the hay up for about 2 seconds and then it either clogs or loses suction. I use the shop vac almost daily, outside and inside the cage. I have a 5 or 6 volt one and it really really sucks (in a good way)!

I ended up getting a Black & Decker 18 volt hand vac. It definitely works for the poop and somewhat for the hay - not big amounts, but will suck up the lose pieces. It might be a little too strong as it lifts up the fleece a bit, but it'll do - I just have to hold the fleece down with one hand and vacuum with the other. I have a crumb phobia, so it'll come in handy for other things as well.

Back