Salt licks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semeigh

I've been researching Chins and thinking about getting one (if I can talk my parents into it). I've been wondering if those salt wheels are good for or even alright for them to have. Anyone have any insight?

I wouldn't, just really no reason to. I mean, some animals may need it...I don't think chinchillas are one of them. If you're feeding a good food (search on here, you'll get lots of suggestions for good food) and a quality hay...your chinchilla has everything it needs to ingest. If you want to get treats...get wood chews...different kinds, different shapes and sizes :) There are also rosehips...or the occasional cheerio! Those are my thoughts. Why were you considering the salt wheel anyhow? Not criticizing, trying to see where the logic came in :)

If you are feeding a good diet there is salts in your pellets. Adding pure salt on top of that is the same as a human dumping salt on all their food. It's just as healthy and will cause the same health problems. Only livestock on pasture or hay only need salt and mineral blocks.

Totally not needed and they also tend to draw a lot of moisture which can led to fungus problems.

I would not use salt wheels. Too much salt in the diet can cause seizures and lead to calcium deficiency.

I don't know if chinchillas are like humans but salt usually dehydrates people. I never heard of a salt lick before. Maybe stay away from it or do more research.

Back