Safe Fruit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

What is some safe fruit for hedgies? Is honeydew ok? What about canteloupe? I was thinking about bringing some honeydew tomorrow to give to Quillow and Maurice at work. How about citrus? Like oranges, for example...
Is there anything I need to cook a bit to make softer?

My hedgies love apples(no peel)...bananas are good too. I'm not sure about the different melons. I would be careful with those. Also, no citrus fruits.

Great! I have a bunch of bananas at home, and a whole basket of apples. Are there any more safe fruits?

I've had no problem with Cantaloupe and honeydew but it must be ripe and sweet. I don't give a lot either. Watermelon (no seeds of course) is a big favorite around here and doesn't seem to irritate tummies even in larger quantities. However all hedgies are different so start with a very small amount and wait a few days to watch for any irritation, like you would with any new food. Citrus is not a good idea, most animals won't touch it.

Apples are not popular with my hogs but its just a preference thing. Papaya is a huge favorite and is fantastic for the digestive tract.

You could also try strawberries as my hedgie LOVES them! You may be able to try blueberries as well but they can be pretty messy and you may have to take way the skin which may be a pain.

Apples are a huge hit with the hogs here. Banana didn't go over well at all.

Cuda seems to enjoy kiwi. He got at a bit of the kiwi juice (I guess I dripped while I was eating it) and he went bonkers for it. I don't give it to him willingly because I think it's a little too citrusy for him, but he loved it the time he had it.

Strawberries, blueberries and melons are also popular. Raspberry is an odd treat for them too... I just puree it with apple to make sort of a sauce and they go nuts.

It's not a fruit, but the gang here kind of like cooked green beans too. Kismet eats hers, but Cuda just chews his up to a pulp and then ignores it. Vette can't be bothered for anything aside from kibble.

I see rasberry ok, would back berry would be too. They where on sale and I got tons of them, I would like to give a littl to Litchi.

Latest posts

Back