Sad Chinchilla?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzytails

Tails my Chinchilla is about 2 1/2 she's never really been a fan of being picked up
or for being stroked often, but recently she will come and sit on me and really snuggle into
the crook of my arm. I'm wondering if she is sad or maybe a bit poorly? she does yelp slightly iif I try and pick her up but this is nothing new. Normally she will climb all over me.
Just a bit worried but don't want to take her to the vet if she is just sulking x

Chins do quite well alone. It sounds like she's trusting you more and becoming more friendly. As long as she's still active, eating/drinking/pooping well I wouldn't see the need for a vet visit. Some chins like living in groups but others do not. A 2nd chin requires a 2nd cage and an intro period and there is always the chance she won't get along with another chin.

I was hoping this was the case. She is eating and drinking fine, she seems more hungry
but I put that down to her just getting older.
I have recently taken her fleecey hammock out for washing and I'm also
wondering if she is missing this?

I keep two sets of fleece. (Shelf linings, hammocks, tube covers.) That way when i take one out to clean i can put the second one right in there. It also makes sure its dry and room temperature.

The chin could just be trusting you more, or just in a mood. My male is liek that some times. Has a pathological fear of being picked up. But when he is out he will climb all over me.

After many years he got to the point where when i would open the cage door, he sometimes would walk out into my arm. As long as he was the one to do it, it was ok. If i tried to, he would see it as being picked up and freak.

She is still doing this even with her fleece back in. She does make like little squeaks when she is sat on me or like a noise as if she is grinding her teeth.
she won't let me pick her up if I try she barks and runs off. She is eating and drinking normally. I'm at a loss as to if anything is wrong x

Is this something new that she's been doing? Has she been doing it more frequently?
It could be that maybe she's just moody, is how I see it.
Some chinnies are also more talkative than others, there's a site that has their sounds -- I would check that out! It could help tell you more about how shes feeling!
But the absolute best thing for chinchillas, is to give them time and be patient with them, It could be that she's just a chinny that doesn't like to be held (most don't)!

I have my chin fir twenty years now ( yea she is really old ) and she still doesn't like me to pick her up , but when im in the room or her play area she will follow me and sit on my feet , she has been alone now for ten years now , but in her play area I have my rabbit next to her cage buy they don't come out together ( she don't like him ) . so yea if your chin is eating , drinking , and pooping he is fine . the older they get the more comfortable they will get with you .

Back