Rules for showing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

I was wondering if we could show a chin if we are not registered breeders? I am a mcba breeder but I didn't register as a breeder.

Do you mean that you're a member, but you didn't apply for a ranch brand? MCBA doesn't classify its members into breeders or pet owners.

At most shows, you can show a chin whether you're a member or not. Different chapters may have different rules about entry fees though, for example I believe the NY/NE chapter will be charging slightly more per chin if you are not a member. The only show you have to be a member to show at is Nationals. However, again, it doesn't matter whether you're a breeder or not, just so long as you're a member.

Registering a ranch brand though is a good idea if you want to show your kits since you have to list each animal's number on the registration form. You could just put Z1, Z2 or even a name down, but having the ranch brand in front of it lets others know they were definitely bred by you and not someone else. Registering is only $5 and will last a lifetime. If you have a brand with another organization (ECBC or NCBC), you don't even have to pay the $5, just let Julie know.

The form to register your ranch brand used to be on the MCBA website but it's not there now, otherwise I would have linked to it. Maybe Brenda can send you one.

THanks Mish!
Yeah I did make a mistake when writing my post, I am a MEMBER but did not register as a breeder to get a ranch brand. Sorry for the confusion. I'm thinking about registering as one though, just didn't come around to do it. Babies aren't born yet so it's not too late. If they're worth showing, see how they grow up, they might be ready for next season around April.

Anne-Lise -
I'd be happy to mail you a ranch brand application if you decide to register one. :) I'm not sure why it's not on the website. I've been meaning to ask Jeri about that as well.

Oh but it's in my MCBA mags brenda, don't worry! I do have an application form. Just got lazy this summer loll!

The application forms for both joining MCBA or brand registration are still on the site and can both be found in the New Breeder Help section.

I was just looking at the MCBA site and I only see the application for membership. I do see the page under the "New Breeder Help" that's entitled Ranch Brands, which talks about ranch brands, but I don't see the actual ranch brand application. Am I just overlooking it?

The link "BRAND/MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION" only takes you to the membership application. There is no section or second page for ranch brands. The link "MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PAGE 2" is the code of ethics. "RANCH BRANDS" is just an explanation of them and why they're useful written by Julie.

It's been a while but I remember there being a separate form which you could write down what you wanted for your brand, or if you already had one with ECBC to inform MCBA of what it was. I don't see this on the website (and Anne-Lise, it's not printed in the magazines either, the brand application is - or was - its own form).

Last edited:
I recieved the form when I first joined the mcba in 2008, along with a welcome letter. I still have the form, I just found it. Not in the mag, my mistake.

Back