rose hips go bad

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurilla22

Do rose hips go bad? I gave one to my female and one to my male the other night and the next morning my male had soft poo.

As with any treat I imagine it can cause soft poo, but there could be something else that may have caused it as well. I have heard heat can even cause soft poo. I would not give any for a while and see if it clears up. Not sure if they go bad or not.

Bumping as I too would like to know the answer to the original question! I don't use them enough to know honestly. But as stated, a variety of things can cause soft poo. Give a basic diet for a few days and if it doesn't clear up a trip to the vet is in order...likewise, if it gets dramatically worse sooner, see a vet immediately.

It depends on how they were dried for how long it will take them to go bad. If they were air dried, there may still be microorganisms living on them, and they could "go bad" fairly quickly if the microorganisms grow too much (quantity not size). If they were dried in an at least 180 deg oven for at least 10 minutes, then there will be far less microorganisms and it will take longer for them to "go bad". I think pretty much everything can go bad eventually.

I've never had a rosehip give a chin soft poo. If it made the chin thirsty and they drank to much... perhaps. It's usually from stress or something else.

I've also not seen one go bad yet though I am sure they can.

Don't give them anything (not even for the soft poo) and see if they clear up by tomorrow.

If they clear up and that rosehip was the only thing you gave at all during that time, then it was probably the culprit.

Rose hips will go bad if they are not dried out properly to begin with. None of the rose hips I've purchased have gone bad. I did see a bottle with rose hips in it one time that had gotten water in them and they had molded. Best advice is to purchase regularly and keep them dry.

I've never seen chins get soft poo from rose hips and I have fed them in to my chins 2 to 3 times a week.

Ronda

Thanks guys! His poo cleared up after 2 days. Since I gave one to my female as well I'm assuming it wasnt the rose hip, I'm thinking maybe it was stress because when I changed the liner in his cage I moved a few things around and maybe it stressed him out.

Back