Roots again! Why?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
Louie, is my second chinchilla that has been examined and x-ray'd by a vet and has shown good teeth structure in the mouth (except for one little rough area), and good front teeth, but x-ray has shown roots growing up and down. He has watery eyes and just started drooling. Does anyone know why this happens? I follow all the chin feeding rules. Louie and the other chin, did chew some but weren't huge chewers. They both did eat hay along with pellets. I know this is bad news and I'm making a decision by the end of the week :(

Malo can be genetic as well. I'm sorry it happened.

I agree. There's rarely anything you can do to prevent it, so don't beat yourself up. You may be aware, but unfortunately it's only going to get worse. I'm so sorry you're going through this again :-(

I know exactly how you feel. I've owned a total of 6 chins, all unrelated to each other all from good breeders. One has already been PTS from root issues, One has now got confirmed root issues and will have to be PTS and a 3rd has suspected root issues (he'll be x-rayed soon). So that makes 50% for me and all have been around 2 1/2 years old when it's been showing up.

It's enough to make me consider giving up. My fiance says I'm cursed.

Since chinchilla teeth are being formed throughout life, anything can influence "bad behavior" of the teeth. Metabolic disease, vitamin or mineral imbalances, trauma, poor chewing habits, inflammation from periodintal disease, infection of the tooth pockets, genetics, being domesticated. All these influences have to be considered and addressed in chinchillas. The physiology of continuously growing teeth requires that the teeth are worn at the natural rate in order for the teeth to function properly and not overgrow-since chinchillas are domesticated we are not able to replicate the natural diet and it is not possible for normal tooth wear rates to be achieved the diets we feed, consentrated ration-pellets and hay, so the effect of lack of tooth wear is a major problem, add genetic issues and there you are.

When you add genetics-a chin whose teeth grow more rapidly that normal, and the chin is on a consentrated ration I:E: pellets and hay, this results in elongation of the teeth above the gum, this holds the mouth open at rest, with this increased contact of the teeth surfaces and the constant contact of the teeth surfaces, this condition will stop the eruption of the teeth above the surface and kick start the eruption of the teeth below the surface-elongation of the roots. As long as chinchillas are domesticated and the natural diet is not replicated and you have these chinchillas who have the issue with fast growing teeth, you will have elongation. People switch the term elongation and malocclusion back and forth like they are the same, they are not, they are two very different conditions.

Thank you for that explanation Dawn. It's so frustrating when you try to do everything right. However, it is true we cannot exactly duplicate their diet in the wild. There are two chinchillas in my local petstore that are kept very clean but are only given pellets. It's been a month now. Do you think this will set them up for teeth problems if not resolved soon? I guess it's time to open my big mouth.

Jaina, I'm so sorry about that :( I have 27 chinchillas so I guess I'm bound to have an teeth issue sooner or later. Several have come from bad conditions.

Some chins do fine on pellets only, they have slow growing teeth. I have had malo chins whose incisors needed to be trimmed every 7 days-their teeth grew 6-8 mm a week, I have also had malo chins whose incisors grew slow and could go 7 weeks before becoming overgrown-both types were hand fed 24/7/365 the exact same food and did not chew on anything nor ate anything on their own-insisor growth is a easy way to tell how fast the chins teeth grow when left unchecked. The "normal" range of teeth growth is around 1-6 mm a week, give or take a bit.

Last edited:
Back