Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishalaa

Irish Chinchilla
For those who requested it at the OH Claim show... I found the recipe online but modified it, so here’s what I measured out:

Cake:
3/4c root beer schnapps
1 1/4c old fashioned root beer (A&W, Dad’s, Barq’s, etc)
2t root beer concentrate (can use vanilla extract if you can’t find it, or make your own by boiling root beer down to sludge.)
2c dark brown sugar
1c butter
3c all purpose flour
1T baking powder
2t baking soda
1t salt
Extra schnapps for spooning over the cupcakes when they’re done baking.
Foil cupcake lines (must be foil, so the extra schnapps doesn't seep out).

Glaze:
4c confectioner’s sugar
1/3c root beer
3T root beer schnapps
3T vegetable oil

Vanilla Buttercream icing:
1c unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ c confectioner’s sugar
½ t kosher salt
1T plus 1t whole milk
1t pure vanilla extract
½ t lemon juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Mix the schnapps, root beer, and concentrate in something you can pour it out of, like a 4c measuring cup.
3. In a bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mix until smooth.
4. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low while slowly pouring in the root beer mixture. Continue mixing until the lumps are gone.
5. Spoon the batter into foil cupcake liners until 2/3 full and bake about 22 minutes, until golden brown and the cake springs back when touched.
6. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the glaze by mixing all the ingredients and whisking until smooth.
7. When the cupcakes come out of the oven, spoon 2t of schnapps over each one. Then go back and spoon glaze over each one. Doing this while the cupcakes are still warm will allow the cake to soak up the excess liquid better, so the glaze won’t be so gooey.
8. Prepare the buttercream icing by creaming the butter and salt until blended. Add half of the sugar and all of the milk, beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Continue mixing and scraping down the side until the icing is smooth.
9. When the cupcakes have cooled completely, top each one with a scoop of the icing.

Attachments

• 102811rootbeerfloatcakes.jpg
    102811rootbeerfloatcakes.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 153
I wish I was there to try one!! I just did a coca cola cake... I think i'll try these next!!

Making these guys tonight. Just a side note--the recipe doesn't tell you how many eggs to add. I added 3 eggs ( roughly medium sized, they were from my own chickens) and it seems to have come out pretty nicely.

They look and smell yummy!

Smuckers makes this thick A&W root beer ice cream topping (orange crush one is yummy too) anyway I bet this would work well for the concentrate part. I can't wait to make them.

And I for some reason thought this thread would be for Chin recipies...after looking at Rootbeer schnapps as the first item, I'm scratching my head thinking...I guess not!!! ;) Sure looks good though!

Oh man, those look really good right now. I'm gonna have to try and make these for work next week.

I made these for my sister in law's birthday today. They turned out pretty good! Although I had to tweak the recipe a little bit because I couldn't find root beer schnapps around here, only butterscotch. They still tasted rootbeer-y but my brother said they also tasted like maple lol. Still delicious though!

Glad you liked them! You can substitute regular root beer for the schnapps, make them kid-friendly and all, but the schnapps gives it that "warm" taste. =)

Back