Ringworm

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
Caboose has looks to be a patch of ringworm on one lip. I'm assuming it's ringworm at least, there's been a ringworm epidemic around the household. Furless, dry-looking patch of skin. Miette and Leeloo probably have it as well, as they all had a dust bath last night before I noticed the patch. I put blu kote on it, anything else I should do for the three of them?

Take them to the vet and ask for Griseofluvin and Conofite lotion to put on it to stop them from itching it and spreading it. Treatment is 2 weeks to 1 month but works great.

Use the Blu-Kote once or twice a day for 5 days, throw some Tnactin into their dust bath, and see how it goes. If it spreads, they may need seen by a vet, but generally fungus can be handled very easily at home.

You will need to make sure the cage is entirely cleaned - either throw away or boil and bake any wood items, wash the hammocks and so on in hot water and dry on high. If you're in a sunny area and can do it, drag the cage outside and let the heat beat on it for a while.

BTW - Don't assume that fungus will spread just because they are in the same cage. Fungus generally happens because of a breakdown in the immune system of the chin that has it, especially if there has been no outside exposure and you have good husbandry. Fungus can literally pop up just because of a lowered immune system and stress.

How should I clean the cages, since it's about zero degrees outside and there's a ton of snow? I was considering trying to drag them outside to freeze for a bit, but they need a good scrubdown anyway. Is vinegar and water good enough in this case?

White vinegar and hot water or minimal bleach in hot water. If you use bleach, be sure the cage is rinsed repeatedly so there is absolutely no residue. White vinegar isn't harmful so if you don't get every drop off it won't matter.

I scoured the cage and have been putting blu-cote on Boose's face, as well as giving her two dustbaths with Tinactin since the weekend. But, the ringworm appears to be spreading, and is entering her nose and whiskers. My worry is it looks like it's actually going into her nasal passage, should I take her to the vet for a cream or anything? Or to make sure it's really ringworm and not something worse?

If you think it's spreading, get it checked. I've not had fungus spread once I start Blu-Kote and Tinactin but it's always possible.

Back