Ringworm or other fungus....what will the vet do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you, but I believe you have been very well informed in every way possible by all who have taken the time to respond to your post.
Now it is only up to you to decide how you want to deal with this. You are the one in your shoes and know how you feel. I don't believe the others can do much more for you.
So ask yourself this question: Do I want to go on worrying forever or do I see a vet and put my mind at peace. Sometimes, 60 bucks is worth the peace of mind. ;)

Good luck in your choices.

Anyone have advice on the med the vet gave me and not the Captan that I am not using/don't have/ won't ever have?

Tresaderm is an antibiotics cream for dogs and cats. It is not on the approved list for chinchillas.

Remember antibiotics to be avoided by using the PLACE rule.

Penicillin
Lincomycin
Ampicillin, Amoxicillin
Clavamox AKA Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate)
Cephalosporins, Clindamycin
Erythromycin
-----------------------------------------------------------
Safe antibiotics
Bactrim AKA Sulfamethoxanol and Trimethoprim
Baytril AKA Enrofloxacin
Chloramphenicol
Gentamycin
Doxycycline
Flagyl

It also isn't doing jack to treat the fungus. In fact, if I'm not mistaken dexamethasone is a steroid, which is not to be used in chins. If they ingest it, it can cause stomach ulcers.

Separate your chins. If one is chewing on the other, they need to be kept apart. If the wound is infected, get trimethoprim sulfa orally. It's cherry flavored, chins love it. Do the Blu-Kote, the Tinactin baths, and ask about the itraconazole (Sporanox). It's majorly expensive. When I checked it was around $200.00 for the prescription, but that was through a local pharmacy, not a chain.

Your vet recommended nothing to take care of the underlying problem, i.e., the fungus. We've told you what to do to treat it, but you seem to keep coming up with reasons or excuses why not to. I would not recommend it to you if I didn't feel it was safe. I would not want that responsibility. I wouldn't use it with my OWN animals, if I didn't feel it was safe.

You even suggest Blu-Kote as being dangerous and cancer causing. Here's a picture for you: http://zygotedaddy.blogs.com/zygote_daddy/images/purpleface.jpg. I repeat, people have been using gentian violet on babies for years.

So, if you want to go the vet route, you either need to find a new vet or copy this thread and take it to your existing vet. He needs to stop treating your chin like a dog. Tell him it's a chinchilla, not a chihuaha. If you want to treat it at home, then we've given you the best information we can. The ball's in your court.

I hope your little one starts to feel better soon. I got fungus once from a chin, and it was an itchy and unpleasant experience, so I feel for the little girl.

I was doing what you told me! And I told you exactly what I was doing! Tinactin and Blu-Kote all the way! I expressed concerns over conflicting advise....never did I neglect to treat her! But it looked infected so I took her to the vet. You did not advise me to treat bacterial infections at home.

I was just pointing out that stuff about gentian violet because people were arguing over Captan. I said I used it and I did.

I am tired and broke...we have been to the vet three times in three weeks.

The vet wasn't convinced it was fungal to begin with. I know I need a new vet, and I need money.

Don't say...if I can't afford the vet...how much money do I have to have set aside? I have spent 1000 dollars on them in one month! Do you never run out of money? You are so lucky.

This spot is bigger than a quarter...Maybe half dollar, on a 5 month old chin....It looked treatable the other day and I DID use your advise. Now, she (mostly herself) has messed with it so much it is weepy and yucky.

I tried to ask the vet about the steroid...he explained it away. I need a new vet....but mostly I need to help Bunny.

Because I get some crap meds from a vet doesn't mean I blew you guys off. Sorry I haven't found the perfect vet yet....You can't know you have the wrong one by looking at their listing.

I will ask for the meds...at least for the bacteria and use blu-kote for the fungus.

Also, the drops, not cream he gave me contains the fungicide : thiabendazole

So, one can follow advice on here...or go "the vet route"....it is one or the other?

I thought we were working together here.

I am just trying to do what is best for my chin.

Do you think that the sulfa oral meds and the blu-kote topically will do the trick? Or will I need the oral anti-fungal?

Dustbunnie - It isn't either/or. We've all said if you're uncomfortable with the situation, seek out vetinary care. But your vet apparently thinks your chin is a dog and is treating her accordingly. Just "a vet" isn't going to cut it. You need a chinchilla knowledgeable vet. Yes, it has a fungicide in it, but it also has steroids. Steroids are not recommended for chinchillas for the reason I gave above. That is from a vets mouth, not mine.

Don't say...if I can't afford the vet...how much money do I have to have set aside? I have spent 1000 dollars on them in one month! Do you never run out of money? You are so lucky.

As far as this comment, you need to back off. You're getting defensive and nobody has even said anything remotely hinting at you not affording a vet. I'm a single mom with three kids and a deadbeat exhusband who doesn't pay his child support in a timely manner nor do anything else to support his kids. Do you think I'm rolling in money here? Do you think I don't run out of money? Everybody has money issues at one time or another. I am not going to come down on you for that. But if your vet doesn't even know what he's treating, then why would you give the treatment he's offering? If he didn't know it was fungus, then he should have done a scraping for it to find out before prescribing a potentially dangerous medication for your chin. I'm not saying it IS dangerous, I'm saying it "could be" because it's not on an approved list for chins to ingest.

ETA: Please start combining your posts when you post one after another. You have a 10 minute edit window where you can simply add them to the previous post. This thread gets very confusing trying to follow along when you post one thing after another after another.

Right, can you post a photo of your chin's nose please? Lets have a look at the actual problem.

You have been given good advice throughout this thread. Fungus does not clear over night and if it is fungus then it is going to look worse before it looks better even with the use of Blu-Kote.

Sorry....the money thing seems to be the go to quote around here....the tag line even of one of the users.

I just don't know how I am going to pull it all off.

I certainly don't want her taking antibiotics if she doesn't need them....but I don't want the infected area to get bad enough to make her ill.

It didn't look so bad before, but it looks bad now.

Pending finding/affording a new vet....

Can I just ask him for the sulfa, leave out his "drops" and use blu kote?

Sorry for the multiple posts...didn't know it was a problem.

You won't know until you try. Do the blukote, dustbaths and sulfa. If it doesn't start getting better in a week than move to intraconazole. Loki, who had the nasty worst fungus, was on baytril and intraconazole. The only bad thing about oral meds isthey need to be on it for a long time, 3 weeks, and there are risks with it. In my case the benefits outweighed the risks. He would have died from the secondary bacterial infection, it was that bad, had I not treated him.

Last edited:
I can't get a good pic...her nose isn't that bad....her shoulder is bad. This is from yesterday, but I didn't have help around to take a pic. Will try tonight. Also, it is bigger now. She wasn't so messy, but we tried a new "method" and it backfired.

Attachments

• 100_4187.jpg
    100_4187.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 27
I too am wondering if it is possible for you to post an image. From the sounds of it the spot is still pretty small. It may help others help you determine if this is really an emergency or if you have time to try a treatment and then wait to see if it starts to clear up.

That does not look like typical fungus. That looks more like a wound, possibly a puncture wound that got infected. You're lucky it at least opened and can drain. Had it stayed closed, you would be dealing with a huge problem.

You need to separate your chins until this is cleared up, then see if it's worth putting them back together again. I have never, ever had one chin chew on another chins fungus spot. It just doesn't happen.

ETA: Judging by her fur, this has been going on for a while. All that jagged uneven fur looks like she may have been attacked.

It is possible, but I haven't seen more than a "get out of my way" bite from them. We thought we felt a bump the other day but there was still fur and thought it was her shoulder we were feeling. A few days later it was missing fur. But why would the fur be missing/spreading off her nose?

I have seen pepper "groom" Bunny by chewing her fur...she like to eat it I think. Bunny lets her do this. It isn't attacks.

Errrr.............. that does not look like typical fungus - it looks more like a bite to me.
The fur around the back is also chewed - there may be other wounds hidden by the fur.

How long have these chins been together?

You need to separate these chins (whether it is a bite wound OR fungus makes no odds) and start weighing the little chin to observe for weight loss.

It is possible, but I haven't seen more than a "get out of my way" bite from them. We thought we felt a bump the other day but there was still fur and thought it was her shoulder we were feeling. A few days later it was missing fur. But why would the fur be missing/spreading off her nose?

I have seen pepper "groom" Bunny buy chewing her fur...she like to eat it I think. Bunny lets her do this. It isn't attacks.

Chins should NOT be biting one another in that way - Pepper is attacking Bunny. Get them separated NOW before they kill each other.

You need to find a chinchilla competent vet and get Bunny fully assessed - she may well have other bites and abscesses can form very quickly below the surface of the skin.

Last edited:
They have both been stable in weight but not gaining for about a week (but not loss, really). They have been together a month. Getting a bigger cage next weekend..will that help? I have night-vision handy cam footage of them at night time (about 1 hr/ night) ...no major squabbles. Bunny has fussed at Pepper just as much as the other way around.....nothing that last more than a split second.

Last edited:
I was editing my post above when you posted this.

They have both been stable in weight but not gaining for about a week (but not loss, really). They have been together a month. Getting a bigger cage next weekend..will that help? I have night-vision handy cam footage of them at night time (about 1 hr/ night) ...no major squabbles.
No it will not help - they need separating.
No watching them, no giving them one more chance - get them apart before one of them gets killed.

Dustbunnies,
around her nose you say the fur is not there, are the whiskers still there? If not, this is usually a sign of the other dominiating your little Bunny, therefore Bunny is being abused by the other.

My chins do fuss at times, but not to that point.
As Claire has mentionned, separating them is highly recommended, or you will find her at the bottom of the cage eventually. Sorry for being so blunt, but I don,t want you to have to live thru that type of guilt.

I am convinced you are doing everything in your power to make things work. ;) But this advice is gold for the servival of Bunny.

Last edited:
The whiskers are still there....it started above the tip of her nose and is spredding a little into the whisker area.

I am asking my fiancee if he can come home from work and we will try another vet. I don't have a car. I am taking both chins so that the vet can look at both of them...I have had Pepper at the vet for something else....but that vet is obviously an idiot.

I sure wish one of you lived here and could come over to truly assess what is happening so we don't do the wrong thing either way.

Back