Ringworm/Fur Fungus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

I know this subject comes up a lot, and I thought I understood the information I can find on the web, but now I have someone telling me that a vet is giving out different info. From this website and others I gathered fur fungus and ringworm were the same thing. That it is super annoying, but not fatal, and is treated with antifungal powder in the dust or antifungal cream. But now someone is saying she had a kitten die from ringworm and the vet says fur fungus and ringworm are not the same thing and that it will kill the chins, especially babies. So what are the facts?

Ringworm is fungus, you could say they are the same thing. Any fungal infection that a chinchilla could have would be treated the same way.

I've never had a chin die of a fungal skin infection, but I haven't had a huge number of chins with fungus in the past. I suppose it could be possible, but definitely not be something that is not at all common as a cause of death in chinchillas. I've not heard of a chinchilla dying of ringworm or a fungal skin infection.

I also have never heard of one dying of a fungal infection.

There are hundreds of fungal types of ringworm, most of them not passable to humans. Some are very species specific.

Ringworm is usually secondary to an underlaying issue in kittens. I've never heard of one of them dying from ringworm alone, mostly URI's and distemper, blood loss from parasites or fleas.. etc.

There are a lot of options for treating it in chinchillas. I mix sulfur in my dust, 1 cup to 50lbs dust in the spring because it is super wet and humid here during that time of year. It's harmless and while I'm not sure if it works as a preventative (fungus is completely random and skips years) it'll clean them up in a couple of weeks if they do get it.

I'm sure there are other type of fungal infections, ring worm is simply caused by a type of fungus. baby animal's immune system is weaker so I suppose that might be where the extra concern would be from.

I had an adult guinea pig die from ring worm when he was being cared for by an aunt while I was on vacation for a month (as a kid), but he actually died because the fungus made it possible for bacteria to infect his skin, so like spoof said its not the fungus by itself that would kill.

It is possible that they could die from a secondary infection that develops at the site of a fungal infection if it is left untreated. As with any type of rash, they itch and with scratching comes an opening in the skin and the opportunity for another pathogen to start it's nasty business. Just a thought.

It's really important to thoroughly clean the cage and to thoroughly clean your hands or anything on you that touches that cage. If I have a chin with ringworm I give them their own bag of shavings and use a separate dust pan to clean out the dirty shavings in their cage that I disinfect after and I use a separate dust pan to scoop clean shavings into their cage so I am not contaminating the shavings. It's also very important to check the entire body; under the arms, etc. I check by site and by feel (for scabby bald patches). I use miconazole cream on affected areas and tinactin powder in the bath. If you are not thorough and you miss an area that is scabby it can cause a raised lump that could turn into something more serious if not treated with the miconazole cream. I have never had a chin die from ringworm.

Back