Richardson's Ground Squirrel Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCHIBIkitten

Hey guys, thought I would see if anyone here has experience with these little critters.

My dad's befriended a male Richardson's Ground squirrel at work (he works on a plant site). He never sees any other squirrels around, just the one. The RGS will come every day at lunch and share lunch. He'll eat out of my dad's hands, and will come and sit on his feet when he's bored.

Anyway, the plant is hiring an exterminator to come and clean out the plant site, so my dad's debating bringing the little guy home.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping a RGS. I know they're better suited to a colony environment, but this little guy seems to be a loner and quite attached to humans already.

I'm also not sure what a proper diet would include. I've researched on a bunch of sites, but you know how poor information spreads on the internet. >.<

Anyway, any help would be appreciated! I would hate to see him get exterminated.

A wild animals is a wild animal. Even if he takes food from humans, he is wild. He should not be caged up and made to adapt to a pet life.

A better idea would be to relocate him as Addicted suggested.

Is it a Richardson's ground squirrel or a Prairie dog? Sometimes they are conufsed to be the same thing.

I know P. dogs ARE wild animals, are ARE taken from the wild and can make some great pets.

I would at the very least possibly relocate him. If he's a praire dog--start doing your research on them, as most of them are "harvested" VIA a vacuum, and sent to the pet trade. It's either the pet trade, or death sadly.

Is there a wildlife care center in your area? I would contact them first. They would have the proper knowledge on housing and caring for wild animals and can properly asses whether it can be released or not. If it is too human friendly a zoo or education center could adopt it.

Yeah, that's what I was mainly concerned about, is his attachment to humans.

I guess I'll see, and if he's still good with being wild, I'll take him to the wildlife sanctuary nearby.

The best thing you can do for him is to trap and release in a safe area. If he is too tame, here is a great article on how to wild up a squirrel before releasing. It is geared towards tree squirrels, but can be adapted to ground squirrels also. http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/tametowild.htm. It is written by a licensed wild life rehabber.

Do yourself and the squirrel a favor and don't try to turn it into a pet. It will not be a happy situation for any of you.

I have had an RGS and there is incredibly little info on them. It's care would be more like a chinny and less like a tree squirrel, except they don't jump. And they have cheek pouches.

Rereleasing would be the best bet unless your he has some land of his own. If he does choose to take it home it needs real ground to be happiest...they are diggers....so at least an outdoor area with fencing into the ground several feet.

Also, they hibernate naturally for most of the year. They can be kept from it if indoors, but it is a bit of strain on them.

I would hate the sweet little thing to be killed, however. So a rehab maybe the best bet....even if it is home grown.

Sorry, missed edit time.

A local zoo may benefit in using him for their educational programs...they probably have several RGS if they are native to the area. There are none here in Texas.

Being a tame ground squirrel isn't as bad as a tree squirrel....they are not near as powerful or agile. Mine was a weakling compared to the chinnies!

No no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the very least I would catch him and relocate him in the wilderness. He might not be happy in a cage.
Is it a Richardson's ground squirrel or a Prairie dog? Sometimes they are conufsed to be the same thing.

I know P. dogs ARE wild animals, are ARE taken from the wild and can make some great pets.

I would at the very least possibly relocate him. If he's a praire dog--start doing your research on them, as most of them are "harvested" VIA a vacuum, and sent to the pet trade. It's either the pet trade, or death sadly.

The best thing you can do for him is to trap and release in a safe area. If he is too tame, here is a great article on how to wild up a squirrel before releasing. It is geared towards tree squirrels, but can be adapted to ground squirrels also. http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/tametowild.htm. It is written by a licensed wild life rehabber.

Do yourself and the squirrel a favor and don't try to turn it into a pet. It will not be a happy situation for any of you.
I have had an RGS and there is incredibly little info on them. It's care would be more like a chinny and less like a tree squirrel, except they don't jump. And they have cheek pouches.

Rereleasing would be the best bet unless your he has some land of his own. If he does choose to take it home it needs real ground to be happiest...they are diggers....so at least an outdoor area with fencing into the ground several feet.

Also, they hibernate naturally for most of the year. They can be kept from it if indoors, but it is a bit of strain on them.

I would hate the sweet little thing to be killed, however. So a rehab maybe the best bet....even if it is home grown.

DO NOT CAPTURE AND RE-RELEASE!
You will just be causing a death sentence for it and it would have been better if you had left it alone and the exterminator got it! RGS will ONLY go in there own burrows, if you take it elsewhere, it will be killed by it's own kind who will see it as an intruder (also, interestingly, they will eat there own dead...), will die from exposure/elements, or from a predator since it has no place to hide.

In short, your choices are to capture and keep (which may mean it will have an unhappy life), lobby or petition to keep said company from exterminating them, or leave it and hope for the best. I have a wild RGS, that was caught and labeled a "Whistle Dog" at a farm auction. I know I cannot release her because she was snared (170 vet bill) when they caught her with a wire trap. A "Whistle Dog" is a RGS that is used to Chirp, and cause there own kind to look for the intruder, and then the handler then shoots all those that look. It's not a pretty life, and I do not know where she was from since I have no information from the seller, the auction would not give it to me. So, for the rest of her life she will be with me and I will try to give her a comfortable life as much as I can... but it's been hard since she is a wild animal, I can pet her, but that is as far as it has gone, she doesn't even come out unless she doesn't realise I am in the room. For information, I would check out the University of Lethbridge's website: http://research.uleth.ca/rgs/pets.cfm IT IS VERY GOOD. I would highly suggest you read it! There is also http://www.critterconnection.cc/Animals/animals-rgs.html and http://www.sandsexoticanimals.com/care/ground_squirrel.html That's all I got, if you'd like to ask me what I am doing with my RGS, I can tell you, and even give you some pictures...

DO NOT CAPTURE AND RE-RELEASE!
First off, calm down, that was a major breach of netiquette.

In case you didn't bother to look, the link I posted was to a "real life" rehabber. Someone who has done this year in and year out for many years. Not just someone who happened to trip over a squirrel one time. Ground squirrels are successfully rehabbed and released all the time.

First off, calm down, that was a major breach of netiquette.

In case you didn't bother to look, the link I posted was to a "real life" rehabber. Someone who has done this year in and year out for many years. Not just someone who happened to trip over a squirrel one time. Ground squirrels are successfully rehabbed and released all the time.

They can be released, but they do not typically survive unless brought back to there original home.... My information is based off a Professor of Biological sciences who have studied and worked with RGS for most of her career.

According to the University of Lethbridge's Gail R. Michener, Professor of Biological Sciences:

"A captive Richardson's ground squirrel can NEVER be released back into the wild, as it can only survive as part of the family unit from which it came and in a suitable habitat with an appropriate burrow system. If it is released, it will undoubtedly die an unpleasant death due to harassment from other ground squirrels that are not kin, stress from being placed in an unfamiliar or inappropriate environment without a personal burrow system, exposure to weather and predators, and lack of survival skills."

They can be released, but they do not typically survive unless brought back to there original home.... My information is based off a Professor of Biological sciences who have studied and worked with RGS for most of her career.

According to the University of Lethbridge's Gail R. Michener, Professor of Biological Sciences:

"A captive Richardson's ground squirrel can NEVER be released back into the wild, as it can only survive as part of the family unit from which it came and in a suitable habitat with an appropriate burrow system. If it is released, it will undoubtedly die an unpleasant death due to harassment from other ground squirrels that are not kin, stress from being placed in an unfamiliar or inappropriate environment without a personal burrow system, exposure to weather and predators, and lack of survival skills."

The key word here is "captive". I think you need to re-read this thread from the beginning - nowhere in this thread does it say the RGS is captive. From the OP's description it is a wild RGS which cadges food. Clearly it is surviving as a wild animal.
It would not be going from a caged or pet environment to having to fend for itself in the wild - it is displaying opportunistic behaviour.
Meanie's link & the information contained in it is relevant & valid & comes from an experienced, knowledgeable wildlife rehabber.

The key word here is "captive". I think you need to re-read this thread from the beginning - nowhere in this thread does it say the RGS is captive. From the OP's description it is a wild RGS which cadges food. Clearly it is surviving as a wild animal.
It would not be going from a caged or pet environment to having to fend for itself in the wild - it is displaying opportunistic behaviour.
Meanie's link & the information contained in it is relevant & valid & comes from an experienced, knowledgeable wildlife rehabber.

And I think you've missed quite a bit on that rehabber's site. Her instructions are for normal squirrels that act much different than RGS. First, I doubt the poster has other RGS in there custody to mingle with the one they are planning to capture, and does she plan to release it in her backyard? In the times it says to leave it "outside" and put things in it's cage, what exactly does she plan to put in there to stimulate and act as it's outside environment, since that website is clearly speaking in a tree squirrel's needs and NOT a RGS needs. But the biggest need is where she plans to release it. Anywhere but where she found it, could mean disaster. RGS need there own burrowing system, they will not go in others RGS burrows, and are very close knit family systems. Intruders are often attacked and killed (and eaten sometimes o_O). Let's say she finds somewhere with minimal amounts of the RGS, why would that be? I know in many cases around my city, the city is eradicating them, and many farms will shoot them. That's why I have Kesler, she was a "whistle dog", a RGS used to fish out other RGS so they (ranchers, farmers, etc) can kill the ones on there farms/homesteads. As for releasing it back to where she found it, what stops them from calling in another exterminator (or if they used poisons it can remain in the area for a long time) and then we're back at square one.

In my case, I called fish and feathers (Fish and wildlife) and they said that it was perfectly safe to keep her, but suggested I killed her because she was a pest. I have called a few wildlife sanctuaries and groups in the area and most have never heard of the "whistle dog" practice, but none are right now willing to take her. I keep searching for someone who'd take care of her, but none so far will. RGS in my area are seen more of a nuisance than anything else. There are far too many who see them as nothing as a pest, it is quite sad, but a fact. I would suggest that if she does wish to continue and catch this RGS, first find out what restrictions are in her area for having the animal, and most importantly, find out if anyone is willing to help. My city is not the only one that sees these as pests, and you may find yourself in a difficult situation...

In another rehabber's website that is for Californian Ground Squirrels, it states, "You should never raise a solo squirrel as they need to learn how to socialize, play and can bond too strongly to their caretaker. Call around and find someone with other squirrels of a similar age for companionship." (did this and found none, but you may have better luck). Also, a big problem is getting too attached, and bonding too much with the animal, which leads to "If they come up to a human after release and that human thinks the squirrel is trying to attack them, they may kill the squirrel." However, it is possible to rehabilitate, but it takes ALOT of time and effort and a good spot to release is key. Timing is Also everything since RGS hibernate. I think she'd have to find a new place and rehabilitate before August 1st. I would Suggest THIS site over that one, particularly page 10: http://www.animaladvocates.us/cgsmanual.pdf

I may have over reacted last time, but you must be really careful with wildlife. It's sad that they are trying to kill them, they do quite a bit of good and often there killing measures cause alot of issues for other wildlife too ( http://www.v4a.org/files/protection or poison.pdf ) But you must realize MANY MANY people will consider the RGS a pest. I'd try and advocate the company and maybe find out the reasoning they have for the extermination.... is it because they are doing something destructive? Perhaps suggest better methods, such as landscaping (putting rocks in the area can deter them from an area) rather than killing them. And it might be good to note, that if they kill those ones, odds are others will show up eventually and take over the area, or a few will survive there methods and become immune to those methods, and possibly there young too, so they will have to do other methods that are more harmful and can be harmful to staff, etc. too if they come into contact with it...

*sigh* I don't need a lecture on wildlife rehab but I hope you feel better for having delivered one.
The point I was making is that the RGS is not captive & nowhere in the thread does it say that it is anything other than wild - you seem **** bent on making out it is captive & beating everyone over the head with the fact that they can't be released. From the description the RGS is living wild & rehabbers seem to successfully release them as they do other wild animals.
Oh & Meanie pointed out above that the link was based on tree squirrels but could be adapted for RGS - so, no I didn't miss that either. ;)

Personally I hope the OP has a positive update to give us.

Last edited:
*sigh* I don't need a lecture on wildlife rehab but I hope you feel better for having delivered one.
The point I was making is that the RGS is not captive & nowhere in the thread does it say that it is anything other than wild - you seem **** bent on making out it is captive & beating everyone over the head with the fact that they can't be released. From the description the RGS is living wild & rehabbers seem to successfully release them as they do other wild animals.
Oh & Meanie pointed out above that the link was based on tree squirrels but could be adapted for RGS - so, no I didn't miss that either. ;)

Personally I hope the OP has a positive update to give us.

Actually, I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say. If you CATCH a RGS, would it not then be captive? At some point in between in the wild and then release, would it not be considered captured and therefore "Captive"? And you cannot just capture it and then dump it somewhere as soon as you feel the area is safe for it, it needs to have time to adjust, an in between time is when it is... "Captive"? My last post was more in relation to having a hard time finding an animal sanctuary that will take a RGS because it's not common for people to bring them in since they are considered pests. The link I provided was on releasing a hibernating GS, and I found it more into relation to RGS than the original link provided. I also suggested that if releasing it, it is important to find the best suitable habitat for the intruder reason of it's own kind, plus issues with people seeing them as pests, and needing to find it a home before hibernation time.

I did go into alot about my own experiences since I currently have a captive RGS, and finding an animal santuary has been impossible, and concerns with releasing due to them seen as pests. I put in quotes like not raising it as a pet or "solo" because I can tell you first hand that it is not a good thing to do, if Kesler was not injured (170 vet bills are fun - they snared her from her burrow with a wire and nearly broke her arm off!), I may not have kept her... and currently I debate trying to find a place to release her, but again, my city is trying to kill them, and farmers also see them as pests. You just need to go on Youtube and you'll find videos of people shooting them and laughing about it.... It will make you want to think twice about releasing them... And I mentioned releasing it back in there original spot and the issues there.

They can be released, but there are SO many issues you need to address. It is not impossible, but it is difficult. That is what I was trying to say.

Back