Revolution Treatment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PeaceB2U

I would always recommend that one get a new hedgehog from a reputable breeder. However, I realize that many people acquire hedgehogs by other means (rehoming, pet store purchase, family/friend exchange, etc.) I also know that mites can be a common ailment with hedgies coming from these environments and that a vet doing a skin scraping is the way to check for mites.

What I'm curious about though is how many people use revolution treatments as a precautionary method against mites when acquiring a new hedgehog. Any thoughts on this?

I never have. I don't think I'd put unnecessary chemicals on my hedgies. I think that a month or so being kept separate is a pretty good way to catch any mite :)

I've been luck enough to never of had to deal with mites but I'd go with a more animal safe medication given to me by my vet.

I don't agree with treating unless there are symptoms of mites. While Revolution is considered safe, it is still a chemical being used on them and I don't believe it should be done unless there is good reason for doing so. I have treated on occasion. I treated the whole bunch one time we had a suspicious bag of shavings that the very itchy moms were on. I've also treated a couple of rescues that did a lot of scratching. There are a few breeders that treat monthly which I don't agree with. I do ask the new parents if they want their baby treated. In almost 5 years of breeding I've only ever had two parents request it.

My parents purchased a baby hedgehog from a breeder who they *thought* was reputable.... they tried, they really did.... but it was not a good breeder. The hedgie came with ringworm and mites. We are on another treatment round of Revolution, so hopefully it works. I didn't want to use ivermectin because I had heard that it can lead to cancer, and didn't want to take any chances.

Well that's good future reference. I'll keep that in mind if my hedgie has mites. I don't like saying that because I think I'm going to jinx myself...:thinking:

I took Sid to the vet and she did have mites. So we got kitten revolution and did it once a month for 3 months. It cleared up after that. But boy oh boy, that stuff touched her and she was a massive huffy ball that jumped and clicked. I think she didn't like the stuff......:thinking:

But boy oh boy, that stuff touched her and she was a massive huffy ball that jumped and clicked. I think she didn't like the stuff......:thinking:
I have no clue why they react the way they do but the ones I have treated have done the same thing. It doesn't sting or anything... I know because I've got it on myself. Guess I don't have mites. :laugh2:
The first drop isn't so bad but that second drop can be a challenge. I think it must be the smell that bothers them.

I'm voting for weird sensation plus smell as being the cause of the jumpiness. I get the same jumpy/puffy reaction from Satin when other liquids have landed on her back - eg, flax seed oil or vit e.

But, unlike those other two, she sure kept her sniffer working overtime with the Revolution. She appeared to be on "high alert" status for a minute or two after I applied the two drops. I'll admit, I did/was too. That stuff is surprisingly strongly scented! I think it's the alcohol??

I wouldn't treat a hedgie for mites as a precautionary measure either. Only if the hedgie showed signs - itching, quill loss with bald spots, etc...

I've been luck enough to never of had to deal with mites but I'd go with a more animal safe medication given to me by my vet.

Vets often recommend using Ivermectin, but that particular treatment (especially the shots) has been known to cause bad things to happen and has killed hedgies before. Most vets (not all) are going by books on how to treat hedgehog illnesses/issues--and not all of those books are up to date. So when it comes to treatment (of non-immediately-life-threatening-illnesses, of course), I personally prefer to get a diagnosis from the vet and find out what they think the treatment should be, then ask for experiences of owners who have had the same problem and do more research on my own. For example (I have a male, but I thought this would be a good example), if a hedgehog comes down with uterine cancer and needs a spay (which probably won't be able to take place for a week or two), I would come and say that the vet wants to do *this* and ask for other experiences--and probably get a recommendation to request laser surgery, which may be something the vet hadn't mentioned before and which would be something I could call up the vet to ask about.

Of course, if your hedgie is having a major issue that needs IMMEDIATE treatment (like a URI, pneumonia, infection, or bleeding), that wouldn't be a logical course of action--but if something is going to take some time to treat, it's sometimes best to ask and find out different experiences from people who work with hedgehogs all the time. Many vets primarily see dogs and cats, and hedgehogs aren't common patients for them--so they could have no idea that the Ivermectin recommendation their book is talking about isn't good.

-No offense meant to any vets out there.-

It's also a good idea to research the symptoms beforehand (while waiting for an appointment date, maybe), so you can find out that if it's mites you should request that Ivermectin not be used, etc.

Of course, that's my personal preference--it doesn't mean it's necessarily what any of you have to do, I just thought it might be useful to share.

...end vet spiel. Sorry if I got carried away. :oops:

I haven't had to deal with mites yet (*knock on wood*) but Revolution has been reported to be safe even on pregnant hedgies so I would definitely go that route. :)

As for precautionary treating, I don't really see a point to it. To me, that almost seems like taking antibiotics "just in case", which can cause problems in the future with weakened immune systems. I would just stay away from wood products (I'm a big liners advocate), and keep a watchful eye out to make sure there are no signs of mites. Rescues/rehomes should always be isolated for 30 days anyway, as pricklesnquills mentioned. Being sure to wash your hands, change your shirt, and not use any of the same toys/equipment in the same cages should be enough to keep the problem from spreading to an original hedgie, and if the new hedgie is in isolation you should be able to notice any signs of mites in that 30 day time frame. I personally wouldn't precautionary treat.

Back