Rescuing - A difficulty I didn't expect (age)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanson009

Having had chinchillas for the majority of my childhood, my third chinchilla lived to 23 years old.

I purchased two boys when I lost her, sadly the breeder wasn't honourable and I lost both to dental disease. Having always taken good care of my chinchillas, a local animal hospital had a few surrenders during covid. Keen to keep an initial trio together; the vet I had used recommended me to them, and my rescue journey began. I have since taken on more.

One thing that I have struggled with in recent weeks/months is not knowing their age. One i have noticed has slowed down a lot e.g. has a nap in play time, is a tad more selective of hay and forage, has days when pellets aren't really touched etc

I have become so very attached to them, I am worried about one in particular who seems to nap more and more - just wanted to get this off my chest.

My 23 year old would sleep and even come out jump on my lap cuddle up and sleep

I would get them a check up if it's new behavior just to rule out any issues. Chins don't really slow down with age unless there is a reason, which could be something simple and treatable like arthritis, but could also be a sign of something more serious. Some chins are just naturally more calm and cuddly then others, I had a couple that were young and like to cuddle and nap with me, but that was just their personality it wasn't something that came about suddenly. Any sudden change in behavior (less active, sleeping more, eating less, being more picky then normal, etc) should be checked out, chins are very good at hiding illness and pain until they can't physically hide it anymore. The oldest I had was around 17/18 years old (I was told he was 3 when I got him, so I don't know his exact age) when he passed, and he was running on his wheel and hopping around the cage like normal right up until the day he passed. He was on joint supplements for the last few years of his life, which seemed to help him.

I would also keep in mind that although you had one with an amazingly long life, the average is really more in the 15-20 year range, similar to a cat. Even if you do everything right genetics, accidents, environment, and diet (even before you got them), can all play a part. Also over 10 years old (roughly late 50s if converted into human years) is when age related health issues often start showing up.

I would get them a check up if it's new behavior just to rule out any issues. Chins don't really slow down with age unless there is a reason, which could be something simple and treatable like arthritis, but could also be a sign of something more serious. Some chins are just naturally more calm and cuddly then others, I had a couple that were young and like to cuddle and nap with me, but that was just their personality it wasn't something that came about suddenly. Any sudden change in behavior (less active, sleeping more, eating less, being more picky then normal, etc) should be checked out, chins are very good at hiding illness and pain until they can't physically hide it anymore. The oldest I had was around 17/18 years old (I was told he was 3 when I got him, so I don't know his exact age) when he passed, and he was running on his wheel and hopping around the cage like normal right up until the day he passed. He was on joint supplements for the last few years of his life, which seemed to help him.

I would also keep in mind that although you had one with an amazingly long life, the average is really more in the 15-20 year range, similar to a cat. Even if you do everything right genetics, accidents, environment, and diet (even before you got them), can all play a part. Also over 10 years old (roughly late 50s if converted into human years) is when age related health issues often start showing up.
I’ve followed your advice and now more lost than anything :(

Latest posts

Back