Releasing scent?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

Just wondering what the reasons were behing chins releasing from their scent gland? I've read that they do it when they are scared or angry, but would there be any other reasons why? The last three days during playtime Sid has been doing it, he gets more affectionate and outgoing by the day so I don't think he is scared, he jumps over to me, makes HEAPS of contact noises and then all of a sudden I can smell a burnt almond smell, he's been doing it a few times each play session. Usually before he does it he makes a lot of noise, but not always.

Would this be associated with mating at all? He is always trying to mount my hand/foot/head/whatever is near.

Good question, one of my female chinchillas also releases some kind of strange scent from time to time. She's a verry dominant chinchilla and also the one that makes a lot of contact noises. Love to know the answer to this.

Yay, glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if there is some kind of connection between the noises and the smell? Sid is incredibly loud all the time, from little peeps to sounds that are a bit like a very very quiet motorcycle changing gears (weird analogy, but that´s what it reminds me of)

Today he did the smell while in his cage, I opened the door and jumped onto my shoulder straight away.

LOL that thread is hilarious! It seems though that most people are saying that their chins make the smell when angry or scared, but I really don't think Sid is either of those when he makes the smell :S

Back