related breeding chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compchar

(please note, non of my breeding chins are related)
What im curious about is several people mentioned to me about breeding half brother to half sister? (if good quality) But not directly related like full siblings or sir/mum breeding.
Wouldnt this cause defects Genetically and possible mutated ill kits?

Inbreeding on any level can cause issues. It should only be done by a very experienced breeder. Inbreeding if done correctly locks in specific good traits but the next generation should be out crossed. If done wrong can lock in bad traits in the kits. Only very very very high quality chins should be used due to that risk.

Thanks. Thats what I suspected, more curious than anything. I assumed theyd double up on good And bad genes.
Im also interested as your thingy saysyou breed goldbars, in the UK ive never heard of one! I assume thats a seperate gene in itself, rather than a cross of two mutations?

The more closely related two chins are, the higher the likelihood that they may be both carrying recessive genes that may cause health issues in their offspring. Half siblings are generally recognized as a safe cross. If linebreeding must be done, I always outcross to a completely unrelated animal the next generation.

I have Lowe recessive whites ("goldbars") as well and some linebreeding must be done because there just aren't many people working on this mutation. But yes, it is a color caused by a mutation. It is not a blend of different color mutations like the Blue Diamond (violet and sapphire).

Back