Reintroducing the male

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoriu

A member
I have 2 females: a standard and beige (both 1,5 year old) and 1 male (TOV, 2 years old). The females have been brought together and the male joined later. There were no fights, no pissing, biting or so on .. the standard became the boss :hammer:, and the other two chins were submissive.
The standard was pregnant and about to give birth just at the time when I was sick and had to come back to my hometown for treatment. I took her with me, as I wanted to keep an eye on her. While the other two stayed with my friend at our flat in another town. I was away for about 3 weeks.
Now she has two 15-days old babies, and I recovered and took her back to the other chins.
All the chins remember my smell, they allow me to pat them and hold them which is something that they don't let any stranger to do. So I guess they must recognize themselves as well.
They are now in their own cages.
The standard displays now so much agression towards all the other chins. When she sees any she doesn't just piss, but bares her teeth and vents all her frustration on the cage. O.O' The male is pretty scared of her, he hid in his wooden house and doesn't go out.
The beige (who is also pregnant) seems to provoke the standard and tries to get closer to her cage. The beige is not agressive towards the babies (just smelled them and ignored when I was holding one and the beige was on my lap), just the mom. :[
They all will stay in their own cages by the time all the babies will be self-sufficient and ready for adoption.
Was the problem caused by that the standard was away from the male for 3 weeks and thus she doesn't accept him anymore?
I'd like to reintroduce the male to females when the babies are gone, how should it be done? Should the females be introducted to each other firstly and then the male?

If the standard is already displaying that level of aggression, and you haven't even tried to reintroduce them, then I would give it a good long think before I did. It's even worse right now because the standard is being incredibly protective of her kits. The beige may not mean to aggravate her, but the standard is displaying very territorial signs.

You may or may not be able to reintroduce them as a trio. Some chins, once separated, can never go back into the group. There is a thread in the FAQ section on how to do different types of intros that you can give a read, but again, I would caution you with the way the standard is acting at this point to be sure before you make the attempt.

Since one is pregnant and the other has kits... I wouldn't reintroduce the three for a long while. The females need time to recover from birth rather than having one litter after another back to back. As tunes said as well, it seems like the females are not getting along already and might not get along again.

Thanks for the clue where to find more info. ^^

No, no I haven't reintroduced them so far. The standard's behaviour was really worring. Besides I see no point in making the females nervous when they are in such states. I am looking for the guidelines about how it should be done when there'll be no kits.

Right now the beige's cage is placed higher on the shelf, she can see the others but the others can't see her. I think the noises had made her curious.. that's why she wanted to get closer. The male went out and started eating. And the standard seems to calm down, but I think it's just temporary in her case.

In the worst case scenario they will live separetely, each in their own cage. I took into account such situation from the start.

And no, I didn't intend to have a litter after litter, that's why I had 3 cages prepared in advance.

Back