Rehoming suggestions :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxy

Hello all,

My boyfriend of many years moved in with me a few months ago and sadly, is very allergic to my two chins.

We thought we could make it work, but we have had no luck so far.

I am completely heart broken, but I think it would be best to find another loving home for these two wonderful girls, as I can't even bring them out to play without it being an issue :(

I have heard such horror stories about craigslist, so that's not an option.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I just want to make the best decision for them.

(I am based in Vancouver)

Thanks for your help.

Are you completely sure it's the chinchillas themselves and not the hay or dust? If it's hay or dust you have some alternative you can try.

I agree with what Cass C said. From what I have heard people are typically not allergic to the Chins themselves but to the dust or hay. I know I have seen a dust that is specifically made for people with allergies but I can't remember who sells it. And maybe using hay cubes would help as well.

Chins are generally non-allergenic, so possibly the hay? I find that certain hays have my nose running and bleeding for days on end,I know the feeling. Re-homing would be the last option. I definitely would agree to the no Craigslist thing, you don't know who's gonna adopt them. But definitely try switching hay brands, but keep the hay loose. Try switching both hay and dust if nothing works. What type of bedding? If its wood chips, try replacing it with fleece, I find that fleece works the best. I hope you can make things work! :)

Back