Rehomes With Tiny Poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinwawa

Besotted Chinchilla Lover
Hi Everyone,

My two 6 year old NJ Rehome girls are doing very well. Running, drinking, dusting, exploring new toys, taking vit C tabs from my hand etc.

The only problem when I got them was they were on bad food and their poops were microscopic.

I cold switched them to Oxbow with plenty of hay etc.

They are eating both the pellets and their hay. Their poops are somewhat bigger and darker but still half the size of my other chin's poops.

How long will it take for their poops to expand more? They have been on Oxbow only for about 4 days. Should I add anything else like oats to help with digestion?

Thank you all.

As long as they are doing all that chins do I would wait another week before doing anything. After that maybe you could try lifeline added to their food. I believe that is suppose to help with the digestion

Hi Barb! Thank you for speedy response. I will watch carefully one more week.
What is Lifeline?

They are such sweet girls. When I put a toy in the cage Destiny comes right over to take a look. I think they must have been bored to tears.

This week we will be working on me just sitting by the cage with the door open so they get used to me. Some petting too. :)

LifeLine is a supplement by Dawnna @ chocolatechinchillas.com that helps a lot more than digestion.
Read her page on the websight about it - she gets it out pretty fast, too!

If they were one a crappy food, then switched to a better food it will take a while for them to be "normal" their body is literally having a feast right now! Taking up all of the things it wasn't getting before and wasting nothing ( therefore less "waste" in general! ). Give them time, plus the stress of the move... sounds like they're doing great.

Hi Riven, thank you so much for the encouragement. I want to do the right thing for them. They are not seriously ill or anything thank goodness! But from reading here I know that they could be doing SO MUCH BETTER in life.

I will be patient for them and with them. :thumbsup:

They've been through a lot lately, and the move, and the new food, new owner, and if they didn't have it "good" before, it will take a while for them to "catch up". I'm sure they're happy as a pig in slop right now.

Back