Red Sores on Snout

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thistlesmom

Hi...

The ongoing saga continues :( Tonight while torturing..uh, syringe feeding, Thistle I noticed that she has red little blistery dots on her snout and potentially one on her forehead. These are brand new, like in the last 24 hours new. Any ideas?

I'm so sad for her.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 25
Not sure if this is a better or worse pic really

She is going to the vet this week about the latest few issues but thought you guys may have a better idea of what's going on. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nicole. Do they look like she could be sores from rubbing her face? Could she have food/medicine build up on her face that she is rubbing or it is causing sores?

I know when I've had some that I've had to syringe feed, getting them clean afterwards can be a chore and sometimes they would get a little build up that needed extra special attention with a warm wet wash cloth.

Sores may have been the wrong word, just not sure what to call them.
I don't think she has food on her face, she is actually pretty good about the syringe feeding and doesn't get much on her, and she is letting me clean her mouth and face and actually seems to like me petting her face (weird). I don't know how to describe them other than little tiny red bumps. They don't seem to bother her when I touch them, but that has never been much of a sign before either. Sigh. Maybe it's from rubbing her face while laying on her side waiting for me to find her :(

I lay down with her for a few hours last night kind of expecting her to pass on but she's a tough little girl, I can't believe how much she has been through in the last year and a half.

I think I know what you are trying to describe. Little raised irritated bumps? Do any of them look like pustules/zits?

It could be an allergy to something, or even a bacterial infection. Poor girl, she has been through so much. But you are right, she is a tough girl, a real fighter. How is her spirit?

They kind of look like teeny tiny zits. Like irritation I guess.

Honestly, she seems sad. She just lays her head in my hands and shuts her eyes. She burrows a bit but she really cant get around well now without me helping her. She just lays in my hands curled up for hours.

How do you know when it's time?

That's always a hard one. I usually look at their quality of life and also ask them to show me signs. I know is sounds odd, but usually they do tell me.

For quality of life, I look at can they move around at all? Can they eat on their own, drink on their own, and get away from their feces/urination. Can they do anything that they used to love in life? Is the situation something that is likely to get better or is the hedgehog's condition continuing to deteriorate.

I also look to see if they look like they are giving up. Are they showing symptoms of pain or discomfort. Do they still seem happy to be here.

Look into her eyes, ask her if she is ready to move on. Tell her its ok to pass on her own, and ask her to tell you if she needs help passing. Usually I can tell by looking in their eyes that its time. Its hard to describe, but their eyes lose something, its like the sparkle or life is gone from them.

I'm so sorry to hear that Thistle is continuing to decline.

That's always a hard one. I usually look at their quality of life and also ask them to show me signs. I know is sounds odd, but usually they do tell me.

For quality of life, I look at can they move around at all? Can they eat on their own, drink on their own, and get away from their feces/urination. Can they do anything that they used to love in life? Is the situation something that is likely to get better or is the hedgehog's condition continuing to deteriorate.

I also look to see if they look like they are giving up. Are they showing symptoms of pain or discomfort. Do they still seem happy to be here.

Look into her eyes, ask her if she is ready to move on. Tell her its ok to pass on her own, and ask her to tell you if she needs help passing. Usually I can tell by looking in their eyes that its time. Its hard to describe, but their eyes lose something, its like the sparkle or life is gone from them.
I do all of the above plus take a step back and ask myself if it were me, would I like to live like that?

I really don't know what to do.

She can't really walk. She kinda crawls. I basically move her around. I feed her by syringe and hold her up while she drinks. She does move from her bed to out in her living room but then she flails and burrows under a blanket and lies there on her side till I rescue her.

I have cuddled with her so much the last few days asking her to show me what she wants. But sometimes I do get a glimmer of her and she burrows or does weird Thistley things or all of a sudden walks normal and eats normal which makes the decision harder. It's not a steady decline really, it's up and down. Like I said she does seem sad though, she just closes her little eyes and puts her head in my hand while I blubber. We make quite the pair right now.

I've never had to make this sort of decision before and I think I"m kind of hoping (well not hoping but you know) that she passes at home instead of me having to take her in.

I can't tell if she's in pain. She also ran around like nothing was wrong when cancer was literally eating her foot off though so that's not all that reliable.

I don't want her to be in pain if it's time but like I said it's more up and down, but I guess mostly down.

Last edited:
How good is your relationship with your veterinarian? Do you trust his/her opinion? Discuss with him her quality of life and if it is time to let go. Her life should be about quality and not quantity.

Discuss with your vet if he thinks there is any chance she will get better or if you are only prolonging the inevitable.

I know what you mean by hoping. I have been there many times. Its the absolute hardest decisions to make. Sit down and ask the questions I and Meanie have posted above.

I will, thanks so much :) This is the hard part of being a pet owner and knew it would come one day but it doesn't make it easier...as you know :) I live alone so I have no one else to even ask advice from. I think my vet would be honest with me, she really loves Thistle too.

I can't tell if she's in pain.
I think I can tell you how you know if there is pain or not. As a example when your knee joint feels fine you are not even aware of your knee, you spend no time thinking about it. But when there is pain in something you become aware of every step, breath, or turn of your head. Whatever it is that is wrong with you. She is aware of her disabilities. I think I remember someone writing "Better a minute too soon than a minute too late"

Its important to have a vet you trust. I trust mine and know he will be honest with me, even if it is what I don't want to hear.

At least there is a forum that adores these little animals and will be here for you. By all means, feel free to pm me if you don't want to ask something publicly too. I've been down this road many times with hedgehogs, and I hate to say it, but it doesn't get any easier. It always sucks.

And yes, the "rather a minute too soon than a minute too late" is one of those bits of wisdom that is timeless.

Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it. I am giving her tons of love and cuddling lots.
We are going to the vet Thursday.

Let us know how the vet visit goes. I've been thinking of you a lot today, and hoping that you get the answers that you need tomorrow.

Lots of good, warming thoughts coming from our quilled family too. I don't think it ever gets easier, being responsible for a life and the end of that life is a very, very difficult thing. Hopefully your vet can help with some advice. No matter what happens, Thistle knows she is loved. And of course, we are here for you. Advice or support, let us know. Your decision will be the right one.

Latest posts

Back