Rate my chin cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

Hey guys, im here to make sure im getting the best for my chin i realize the plastic is bad so i sprayed it with that stuff that is supposed to keep them from chewing it, also if she ever does chew it i will replace the cage, but i want you to rate my cage on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, the link is http://www.cubeupload.com/files/c0fa00chincage.jpg

6. Get a better wheel (silent spinners are too small), a better hammock, as those types will fray easily if chewed, nix the hay ball, as that can be an accident waiting to happen (that hanging thing?) Other than that, it's not horrible. Just suggest getting some better/more wood in there for her to chew on.

Hmmm, I am not sure where to rate that. The wire ball is a leg breaker, the wheel is too small, you need a bigger one to ensure the back is not being arched funny. Too much plastic, and most "bitter" sprays actually do not work, so I would take that out and replace with KD Pine shelves. The size is ok. so I would say maybe a 5?

ETA: The ramps should come out, the chin does not need them.

It's already been discussed about the plastic in another thread. General consensus was, if the chins don't bother it, leave it be. Just be sure to provide plenty of other chews, so that's not as big of an issue as say, the wheel and hay ball.

Hmmm, I am not sure where to rate that. The wire ball is a leg breaker, the wheel is too small, you need a bigger one to ensure the back is not being arched funny. Too much plastic, and most "bitter" sprays actually do not work, so I would take that out and replace with KD Pine shelves. The size is ok. so I would say maybe a 5?

ETA: The ramps should come out, the chin does not need them.

I think that Tara pretty much covered it-- You can make wood shelves very easily and the chins love to chew on the wood. I made 6 shelves for under 20.00 including hardware. I am not that handy with tools so if I can do it I am sure anyone can!!

I agree with the 6. I do know that you have potential to give your chin a great home since you're on the way to learning about what is good for them.

I think the cage is doable but I would remove the ramps. Chins don't need them as they jump. And when you get time I would replace the plastic shelves with all wood ones. The wood ones are great because it's okay for them to chew on and helps wear down their teeth.

I've already said my thoughts on the wheel so we've covered that :))

I also suggest switching out the hammock with a fleece one. Fleece doesn't come apart in threads like those cotton/nylon hammocks do so they are safer if your chin decides to try and chew it apart.

The hay ball thing can be okay depending on where it is. I use them and haven't had any issues with them. Some people say they are unsafe, so it's up to you in my opinion. But I have them not hanging, rather they're right against the ground in the corner where the chins don't bounce against them. And mine are always stuffed full of hay. So if nothing else, I would move it to the bottom of the cage so she doesn't hang herself from it.

Believe me, decorating the cage is half the fun!

I think the size is ok; as long as they have a play pen or play room. I'd get rid of as
much of that plastic as i could. And, i've used the no-chew stuff and it really doesn't
work. No ramps. Buy a bunch, or make, some wood shelves. I made fleece covers
for my perches that you just slip right on and slip right off- to clean. Sew up 3 sides
and slip right over wood shelf and they like it. Your chins really cute....

If you're chin is young or on the small side the wheel is doable. I have 2 very small chins who had no problem on a wheel like that, however they do not last as long as a chin spin and some chins have a tendency to chew on the plastic knob that secures the wheel. While the plastic shelves are debateable the bottom line is if you're able to replace them with wood please do so. The advantages to wood shevles are they are better for the chins and they have something to chew on. Just know you will have to replace the wood shelves as they get eaten, because they definitely will get eaten. I'm not sure where you're located but several members offer fleece items for sale--tubes, hammocks, fleece houses--chins really love them.

I'm seeing that cage needs a lot more clips to hold it together, as the corners are bulging open! If those sides are stacked apon another, again, more clips!
I've had them cause vibrations from the wheel and the sides slide down, creating openings the chins reach through and get caught!
Keep the cage at least 2 inches from the wall, as chins will nibble on drywall if they can reach it!
All the above recomendations should be followed, too!

I'm not entirely sure what those chew-looking things are on the first shelf that your chin is playing with, but at least one of them looks like it's not wood. Perhaps a mineral chew? I'd double check that the toys you've purchased in that regard are, in fact, chin-safe. The members on here are notorious for discovering things sold in pet stores that are advertised for chinchillas when in fact they are dangerous or even toxic!

ok that hay thing on the top shelf...I need glasses...I thought it was a guinea pig hahaha I'm sooo out of it today

I thought the exact same thing! So you are not all that crazy.

I think everyone has great suggestions for you- great job for trying to be the best chin-parent you can be!

I thought the exact same thing! So you are not all that crazy.

I think everyone has great suggestions for you- great job for trying to be the best chin-parent you can be!

I thought it was a strangely-colored chinchilla - LOL!

Back